FORUMS: list search recent posts

Roll edit/Trim tool performing incorrectly

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john skye
Roll edit/Trim tool performing incorrectly
on Jun 25, 2013 at 10:02:11 am

I am finally spending the time to learn final Cut X. I have a probably very simple problem that is really annoying me. Hopefully someone can help.

To perform what used to be a roll edit, I use trim tool. The problem is that sometimes it works perfectly rolling between the 2 clips, whilst other times it acts as a ripple edit. I have been studying the timeline to see what is different but it looks like its exactly the same.

Any help with this would be fantastic.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Roll edit/Trim tool performing incorrectly
on Jun 25, 2013 at 10:51:35 am

The trim tool changes function based on where the cursor is on the clip. Two connected clips butted up to each other cannot be rolled, unless they are both within the same secondary storyline. Here's a nice trim tool overview from Andy Neil-

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/neil_andy/FCPX-Trim-Tool/video-tuto...

Return to posts index

john skye
on Jun 25, 2013 at 1:45:49 pm

Thanks for the info and for the link, but unfortunately I still have the same problem. It seems the clips are connected, and therefore cant be rolled. So now 2 questions.

1- How do I un-connect a clip so that I can roll it?

2- What is the correct work flow in the following case.

I am editing a sports video to a music track. I therefore have my audio track as the primary story line. My standard work flow is to mark the audio with the fast bits, slow bits etc etc. Then drop clips down onto the audio track accordingly. It means I use the position tool since maybe I have a slow clip, which I want to place on the slow part of the tune. Once I have all the clips thrown roughly in the time line, I then need to find tune each edit, which is when the roll edit is the only option. If I ripple at all, it messes up the whole rest of the time line. However I cant seem to use the roll tool since all the clips are connected clips....

So i guess it coms to the same question, how do I un-connect the clips, or am I doing this wrong from the beginning? This is the first proper project I have done with X, so trying to get my head around the different work flows.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 25, 2013 at 2:52:41 pm

[john skye] "1- How do I un-connect a clip so that I can roll it?"

You don't have to unconnect the clips, but they do have to be in a storyline. One way to do this would be to select the clips and hit CMD+G to encase them in a secondary storyline. Then the trim tool will allow you to roll between the two clips.

[john skye] "2- What is the correct work flow in the following case"

In the example you give, here's what I'd do:

Since the music doesn't change, I would not edit it into the primary storyline. Instead, I would make it a connected clip (or secondary storyline) below the primary. Drop your video clips into the primary roughly and then use the trim tool to fine tune your edit with roll, slip and slide.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

john skye
on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:01:37 pm

THANK YOU.... Command G seem to be a massive help. Like that I can basically link all the clips in each section of the music and roll away with the edits. The secondary storyline stays connected to the audio at 1 key point, so its perfect! Like that I think I can stick with the audio in the primary story line, but I bare that in mind as maybe a better solution.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:01:46 pm

Edit- ah, the man himself has got you covered, thanks Andy!

The connected clips need to be in a "secondary storyline" in order for roll to work between clips. Skimming through the video I linked, I didn't seen an explanation of secondary storylines, could have sworn it was in there.

This ones got it-
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/927-what-are-secondary-story-line...

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:41:13 pm

The tutorial on secondary story lines is really helpful. So much stuff buried in FCPX and things yet to learn.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]