FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy only a Project and Media in it to another drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Boampong
Copy only a Project and Media in it to another drive?
on Jun 24, 2013 at 8:23:57 pm

I have edited about 4 hours of HDV 1080i50 footage into a 1 minute video. Is it possible to take only this 1 minute project and save it and its media on a pen drive?

Can I also change the format of the files in the consolidate to Prores 422 like we could in FCP7?

Thanks Dave

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Re: Copy only a Project and Media in it to another drive?
on Jun 24, 2013 at 8:55:52 pm

I don't think it's possible as it were in FCP7, but there can be some workaround. I'd do something like this: in your timeline, select all of the clips. Now go to the inspector and change the "camera name" field into "used for project X". Now duplicate the project and referenced events, after consolidating, onto an external drive or whatever. Then delete all the media that is not marked as used in the "camera name" field within FCPX together with all of the transcoded media from the Finder. This if you want to keep the media in the original event for further use on different projects. I've not found anything better so far, I do hope there will be a "save project and used media only" in the next version. I'd like to know if anybody have found a better way to archive finished projects using the smaller possible disk space. I mainly work with AVCHD source media, so after deleting the transcoded files even keeping non used clips does not require a large storage space as if were when I had to archive ProRes files in FCP7, but still it think it could be accomplished way better.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Dave Boampong
on Jun 24, 2013 at 9:07:06 pm

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 24, 2013 at 11:12:28 pm

Open the Project Library.

Select the Project.

Choose File > Duplicate Project (or hit command-d).

Choose a Destination.

Choose "Duplicate Project + Used Clips".

Choose "All Used Clips" and name a new Event.

This will not trim your media, it will copy the full clips, but as along as your 4 hours of material isn't capture in to one four hour clip, it should reduce your file size.

You cannot transcode during this process, you can do that in FCPX by choosing to "Create Optimized Media" before or after the transfer.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 24, 2013 at 11:23:25 pm

Would it copy the optimized AND the originals if you optimized before the transfer? I think Fabrizio's method of marking the used clips, then in the event find those clips in list view, and then optimizing just those is a good method before the transfer. Unless the transfer copies original AND optimized. In that case might as well optimize after.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 24, 2013 at 11:48:57 pm

[Bret Williams] "Would it copy the optimized AND the originals if you optimized before the transfer?"

In my experience, it's been just the optimized.

I would optimize after as that is your "culled down" media.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:31:34 am

But then wouldn't the result have originals and optimized?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:38:16 am

The result would, sure. You can always dump one or the other.

Return to posts index

Dave Boampong
on Jun 29, 2013 at 7:55:24 am

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]