FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updating Events

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Corapi
Updating Events
on Jun 22, 2013 at 7:16:07 am

If I have an FCPX event on my raid system at my office and have the same event on a portable drive with media that I want to work at home is there a good way to update each event so they match as I am working?
So if I work at home and continue to add favorites or create new smart collections etc.. When I get back to my office and want to work off the raid do I plug in portable and drag event over in the finder and let it replace (realizing that I have to relink the media every time ) or do I do it within FCPX in the EB. Not sure of a good way to have identical events on two different systems continuously?

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: Updating Events
on Jun 22, 2013 at 12:25:19 pm

Why not keeping the Event on the portable drive?

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Tony Corapi
on Jun 22, 2013 at 12:56:32 pm

For two reasons really. One is the raid is much faster and performance is much better. Working with ProRes 4444 and using a lot filters etc.. It's where I work with the clients doing basic edit and color correction ( I have a machine room suite, small shop) and then I travel home 3 hrs away and will work out of house by phone for a week and then I might return later to finish. With FCP7 I would just save the project file and put it Drop Box, return home open project there relink media to portable and continue where Ieft off I was just wondering how one might do that in FCPX as you are continually updating in the Event Browser, I know how to do it in the project library (sequences) but not sure how to carry over changes if I work in the EB. Thanks. Hope this make sense. :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2013 at 3:16:24 pm

Transfer the "CurrentVersion.fcpevent" file in and out of the appropriate directories.

It's similar to an fcp7 project file, you just have to put it in the exact right directory on each hard drive.

Return to posts index

Tony Corapi
on Jun 22, 2013 at 3:31:19 pm

Thanks Jeremy. That's what I thought. I was concerned about the (id) FCPX gives to FCPX Events. I originated the event on the portable ( I started project at home) and then ported over to raid when I arrived at shop through FCPX in the event browser so I am assuming FCPX gave that Event a different (id). Media resides on both drives in there own media folders, not in the event itself. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to create havoc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2013 at 3:38:57 pm

How did you "port" it? If you used fcpx to copy it, then yes, it has separate IDs.

If you used the Finder, they have the same ID and you need to be more careful as fcpx can get confused when it loads two Events/Projects with the same ID.

Return to posts index

Tony Corapi
on Jun 22, 2013 at 3:48:45 pm

Ported over through the event browser in FCPX by dragging event on to raid drive so it has a different ID like you say. So it might be smarter to delete whats on portable and drag over off raid on to portable through the finder then both drives will have the same ID and the I can do as you suggested. I will not have both drives mounted when FCPX is launched.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2013 at 3:55:56 pm

Whatever works best.

You just need to get the most up to date Event to whatever hard drive and computer you need to work from.

Just be careful of conflicting IDs and you'll be fine.

Return to posts index

Tony Corapi
on Jun 22, 2013 at 3:58:54 pm

Thanks Jeremy. Appreciate the info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]