FORUMS: list search recent posts

Send to Compressor, general consensus?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Eaks
Send to Compressor, general consensus?
on Jun 22, 2013 at 1:02:40 am

I have pretty much avoided Send to Compressor altogether for a long time. I'm wondering if there are any caveats or things I should know when using Send to Compressor in FCP X (excluding the obvious fact that I won't have a Master File exported, I am aware). I'm guessing that during Send to Compressor I cannot continue to work on other projects, but I haven't even tried yet.

Is Send to Compressor in FCP X similar at all to FCP 7? How it used to disregard all render files and timeline codecs etc and compress right from the original file?

I ran a couple tests last night:

-Sent a 1080i timeline to Compressor with Matrox MAX settings for Blu-ray and set the job action to burn BD disc.

And

-Sent an SD Animorphic timeline to Compressor to compress and burn with Apple DVD best settings (same HD Timeline, just changed the project settings to NTSC 720x480 anim.)

It all seemed to work a charm! Cuts hours from my regular workflow with no downfall? Anyone out there using Send to Compressor? Is it stable? or finicky?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: Send to Compressor, general consensus?
on Jun 22, 2013 at 5:45:00 am

I use it all of time since it is easy to use whatever setting you want. About the only difference is the result ends up in my movie file, not in the project "share" file. Anyway seems stable and reliable to me.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jun 22, 2013 at 6:11:58 am

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear its reliably working as expected. I've had trouble using Matrox settings with send to compressor in the past (FCP 7 days), option has since slipped off my radar.

Do you ever open a different project in FCPX and work while the project sent to Compressor is still processing? or just walk away from the computer altogether once the batch is submitted?

[Claude Lyneis] "result ends up in my movie file, not in the project "share" file"

Yeah I just realized that a couple hours ago when I went looking for the file after sending to compressor. I couldn't find it on my own and had to spotlight search it. Going to the Movies Folder ends up on my system drive, which I don't want (tiny 128GB SSD). I figure simply setting the jobs destination to a specific folder, instead of source, will get around that no problem. Assuming this becomes part of my normal workflow, I'll set a single folder as the default destination for Compressor, so all compressed files go to that one location.

Seems like everyday I find another thing in FCPX that improves some aspect of my workflow.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 22, 2013 at 3:26:41 pm

[David Eaks] "Do you ever open a different project in FCPX and work while the project sent to Compressor is still processing? or just walk away from the computer altogether once the batch is submitted?"

You can work on other stuff after submitting to compressor.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Philip Scoggins
on Sep 23, 2015 at 5:40:11 pm

Can you close FCPX after you send the project to compressor?

Philip

<15 Years Vegas Pro, 3 Months FCPX>

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]