FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with a stuck clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Bernard
Problem with a stuck clip
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:30:51 pm

Hi every one,
I'm having a strange problem I never had before with FCPX. I imported a bunch of clips and some of them, I can't playback. They are just stuck on a single frame whether I scrub them or I use play. But if I reveal them in finder, they play just fine.

I will give you as much information as possible.
SYSTEM:
OSX 10.8.4
iMAC, intel Core i7 3.4
16GB RAM 1333 MHz

Medias and Event are on a Pegasus Raid disk connected in Thunderbolt.

METHOD:
I imported clips from, if I recall correctly, an FS700. Imported and Optimized them. I then moved the ProRes 422 files to another folder on the same drive, deleted the import event and created a new event in which I imported the clips without copying them, which mean i have Aliases instead of clips in ORIGINAL MEDIA. I've been doing it the same way for quite a while now, never seen this problem before.

What I've tried
I played them in both, Preview and Quicktime. no problems there. I trashed the preferences with no results.
I've relinked the clips to no avail. I've moved the clips to a new event, still noting. And transcoded a Proxy (which is perfect in Quicktime), and used the Proxy and still nothing. Opening this event on another computer doesn't seem to hel either.
If I reimport the damn clip, however, then, it works again... problem is, it would take me a while to check all 150 clips to figure which ones are broken and then reimport them and then re-keyword the hell out of them.
Anyone has any idea?
Anything more I should tell you guys?

Many thanks

Dan

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Problem with a stuck clip
on Jun 21, 2013 at 4:18:51 pm

It sounds like there was some corruption in the optimization step. Since they play in quicktime, it's possible whatever corruption exists is only noticeable by FCPX, some kind of metadata that it reads that QT doesn't.

You could try running the clip through compressor (with the same codec settings) and see if that fixes the clip. Otherwise, it sounds like the damaged clips need to be reimported.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Bernard
on Jun 21, 2013 at 4:28:06 pm

It seems unlikely it's a clip corruption since if I take the exact same ProRes 422 file and reimport it in FCPX as is (which mean same file with same name in same location in same event), the clip plays fine.

It seems to be FCPX considering my clips like if they were JPEGs or something. I will still try the compressor method and get back to you about it.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 21, 2013 at 4:29:53 pm

[Daniel Bernard] "t seems unlikely it's a clip corruption since if I take the exact same ProRes 422 file and reimport it in FCPX as is (which mean same file with same name in same location in same event), the clip plays fine."

Oh, when you said you "reimported" the clip, I thought that meant that you reimported from the original file, not the Pro Res conversion.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Bernard
on Jun 21, 2013 at 4:35:11 pm

Nah, I actually just used the same file, which doesn't make any sense.

Thanks for your help. Tried the Compressor method, doesn't do any good.

I've seen FCPX doing weird stuff since I've started working with it, but this....

Any other idea of what I could try? I'm running out of idea...

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jun 22, 2013 at 1:18:10 am

What does the event browser say the troublesome clips are? With events in list view, look under the format/frame size/frame rate/codecs columns (you may have to enable those columns by right-clicking the top row)

EDIT- I see that you have already tried this... So never mind-

Since the same files play normally if reimported. Maybe if you intentionally make the media go offline, then use reconnect to link back to the same Prores files, FCPX will get past whatever is holding it up? That may not be something you want to try though.

Return to posts index

Daniel Bernard
on Jun 22, 2013 at 2:03:59 am

Thanks everyone for the help.

I ended up figuring this out with a colleague.
With anyone who has this problem, it's an issue that can occur when FCPX read some XML files. (Yeah, I see now I had forgotten to say that the event was created based on a XML translated to FCPXML, my bad. I guess it hadn't crossed my mind since it was a media issue, which, I believe, had nothing to do with XML files)

I rexported the XML and things went swell, I just had tom redo the keywording a little.

Thank you all for you help.

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]