FORUMS: list search recent posts

basic color correction question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam chesbrough
basic color correction question
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:05:12 pm

I color correct and grade using FCPX color correction tools and Magic Bullet Looks. My question is simple. I have two different clips that I want to match, they are close but not perfect. I would like to view them side by side while color correcting.

Workaround: one clip on top of the other in the timeline, crop them so they are in the same frame. I was wondering if there is something built into FCPX that allows me to simply view them at the same time in different windows and quickly bounce back and forth to make my changes

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: basic color correction question
on Jun 21, 2013 at 4:33:15 pm

The cropping is a good idea. You could use the event viewer if your trying to match one image to another, but if you want to adjust both images and match them to each other you would need to adjust one image first, compound it and load it in the event viewer, your cropping workaround is better. Personally I always correct first and then color grade after , so I match the images using the event viewer and when everything looks alike I start adding the grading. Most of the time I simply click on one clip, adjust it, click back to the other, click back and forth to compare. It's something I've also done in the past with Legacy, at least to me it feels like I can see the difference better by clicking back and forth rather than using both viewers.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Jun 21, 2013 at 4:38:54 pm

Thanks, something else I just tried was taking screenshots. The issue here is with compression and I noticed that the screenshot doesn't match the viewer. It looks compressed. No surprise there, but what I am going to do is check to see if different screenshot compression give me a closer result to the RAW (ie TIFF)

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jun 21, 2013 at 6:04:54 pm

Are you in Proxy mode by any chance? If you share a still from the timeline without adjusting anything it should have the same quality as your footage

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Jun 21, 2013 at 6:10:09 pm

I was talking about screen shots rather than sharing a still.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jun 21, 2013 at 7:08:27 pm

Ah, sorry , misunderstood. I wouldn't do screenshots. Exporting a still is better since you actually get what's in the timeline and it won't look compressed.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jun 22, 2013 at 2:44:16 am

Option-f will insert a still of the current frame at the playhead/skimmer.

I have a tendency to hit option-f, then copy the still, undo insert still image (since we still don't have the "remove through-edit" function back yet), then option-v to paste as connected clip.

Pretty quick and easy way to get a still from one clip, pasted as connected over a different clip. Makes me wonder if there is a create still as connected shortcut...

For the same but with video Instead of a still I'll blade either side, copy, undo undo, paste as connected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]