FORUMS: list search recent posts

Marker placed at top of timeline not on clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
Marker placed at top of timeline not on clips
on Jun 21, 2013 at 12:12:05 pm

So, i liked, in 7, placing markers on the top of the timeline to tell me to go to places and do stuff, or to just mark specific points of my timeline.

In X all i can do is put them on the clips themselves which is a bit visually cluttered and not what I want.

Am I doing something wrong or can one really not have markers on the top of the timeline all nice and neat and easy to see?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Marker placed at top of timeline not on clips
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:23:10 pm

You cannot. Markers are associated with clips or filler not with points on a timeline. If you navigate your markers using the Timeline Index, then it's a fairly organized way of keeping track of your markers and working through them. But currently you can't attach a marker to the timeline itself. I would suggest filling out a feedback form requesting it. The more they hear about it, the more likely it will get addressed.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:26:55 pm

Ok, many thanks for letting me know.

Not sure why they removed so much useful stuff when the made X. It;s funny, I definitely feel like i'm fighting with the App a lot more than I ever did with 7. Personally I hope they stop adding new bits in that mostly still won't make it appeal to the big boys at the top, and spent a raft of time debugging and putting back in the sensible bits they removed. Am tired of undo jumping me to the start of the timeline or not having jump forward being one second, to name just two.

Still, a gripe for another thread I guess. Thanks for closing this issue for me.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:47:33 pm

Trust me, editors who work primarily with shortcuts and those who work with visually organized timelines have been the most frustrated regarding FCPX.

Visual editors are frustrated because they have a hard time keeping things like their music on one rail, dialogue on another for their whole timeline due to the nature of overlapping connected clips. Shortcut editors are frustrated when their most used or needed actions don't have shortcuts. Personally, I'm both types of editor in FCP7 and Avid.

The key to my (relative) happiness with X has been to embrace a little bit of the chaos (and to constantly request features to be added/returned).

I don't worry about where my markers end up on the timeline because I keep them organized in the Timeline index (although it still pisses me off that they'd create a TO DO marker and make it so hard to add them with shortcuts or mark them completed).

I don't worry about my music being on one "track" because I make sure I organize with Roles so I can isolate those clips instantly (though again a shortcut would be nice).

But the good news has been how much time has been spent returning the most needed features back into the program. Because it was a completely different way to organize an NLE as far as clip associations and things like that, I feel that the engineers took out things that they weren't sure how to make work right away. Then they've been putting them back in as they discover the best way to implement them. Hopefully timeline markers are one of those things to make a reappearance.

Andy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:14:47 pm

[Andy Neil] "But the good news has been how much time has been spent returning the most needed features back into the program. Because it was a completely different way to organize an NLE as far as clip associations and things like that, I feel that the engineers took out things that they weren't sure how to make work right away. Then they've been putting them back in as they discover the best way to implement them. Hopefully timeline markers are one of those things to make a reappearance."

I think you're probably correct. Also, FWIW, I use way more shortcuts in X than I did in 7. Maybe because I had to to poke around in it more to learn it? Way less mouse clicking for me though...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:38:27 pm

[Charlie Austin] "FWIW, I use way more shortcuts in X than I did in 7. Maybe because I had to to poke around in it more to learn it?"

What NLE did you learn on? I learned primarily on Avid first so shortcuts came hand in hand. When I became proficient in FCP, I transferred my love/obsession for shortcuts there. When X came out, I went hunting for shortcuts and use as many as I can, but there just aren't enough for the things I use the most.

For example, why doesn't the Home key jump the scrubber to the beginning of a clip in the event viewer? Why can't I use shortcuts to adjust a clip selection (like highlight a connected clip instead of a storyline clip). Or move a connected clip's hierarchy? Why can't I adjust the fade in handles of a clip with the keyboard? Why can't I adjust the volume of a clip in the event viewer with a shortcut? Or make/mark off a To Do list marker? Or a dozen other things.

I did find a new shortcut the other day though. If you select a keyframe, you can adjust it's position with OPT+arrow keys. This can be helpful with minute adjustments to audio (although it'd be much MORE useful if I could select more than one keyframe at a time).

Andy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:53:54 pm

[Andy Neil] "For example, why doesn't the Home key jump the scrubber to the beginning of a clip in the event viewer? Why can't I use shortcuts to adjust a clip selection (like highlight a connected clip instead of a storyline clip). Or move a connected clip's hierarchy? Why can't I adjust the fade in handles of a clip with the keyboard? Why can't I adjust the volume of a clip in the event viewer with a shortcut? Or make/mark off a To Do list marker? Or a dozen other things."

I started on Avid as well. And I do agree that there are a lot of useful shortcuts that are MIA. I just find myself clicking a lot less in X than I do in 7. Again, maybe I just spent more time poking around in the shortcut lists floating around... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:57:37 pm

Add a gap clip to the beginning of the Storyline. Connect an Adjustment Layer to it. Drag the Adjustment Layer through the duration of the Storyline.

Now add Markers to the Adjustment Layer. Use Index to navigate.

http://fcpx.tv/Pages/timelinemarkers.html

-paul.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 21, 2013 at 4:11:39 pm

[Paul Figgiani] "Now add Markers to the Adjustment Layer. Use Index to navigate."

Have you noticed how imprecise adding markers in the timeline is if nothing is selected? If you're using JKL to navigate, then it follows a predictable order: the marker is placed on the highest clip in the hierarchy at the point when the play button is pressed. But if you're navigating with the skimmer, markers might show up anywhere unless the cursor itself is hovering over a particular clip.

I only point this out because your solution is a nice one, but the user needs to make sure they select the adjustment layer before adding markers.

andy

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 22, 2013 at 12:30:46 pm

andy
...I only point this out because your solution is a nice one, but the user needs to make sure they select the adjustment layer before adding markers.

Andy is right, that's the main deal and it's not that elegant.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jun 22, 2013 at 12:59:43 pm

Andy and Andreas,

Refresh my memory -

In FCP 7, how would you designate the difference between a Sequence marker and a Clip marker? If I remember correctly you need to either click the timeline Ruler or select a Sequence clip. Yes? If you forget to do one or the other ... your markers may end up where they were not intended.

Point is I don't see why making sure the Adjustment Layer is selected would be that big of a deal. Not saying it's the most elegant solution. but it works.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 22, 2013 at 3:22:35 pm

[Paul Figgiani] "In FCP 7, how would you designate the difference between a Sequence marker and a Clip marker? If I remember correctly you need to either click the timeline Ruler or select a Sequence clip."

In FCP 7, markers defaulted to the timeline ruler. The only way to place a clip marker was to physically select the clip first.

In FCPX, there doesn't seem to be a consistent default state for markers. It changes depending on whether you're playing through a clip or scrubbing through it, and even those states aren't consistently one way or another. This necessitates the user having to select a clip before hand to ensure their markers end up in the right place (if that's important to them).

[Paul Figgiani] "Point is I don't see why making sure the Adjustment Layer is selected would be that big of a deal. Not saying it's the most elegant solution. but it works."

It isn't a big deal. I was pointing out for the OP or anyone else who wanted to use this method what they had to make sure to do if they wanted the markers to consistently belong to the adjustment layer.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]