FORUMS: list search recent posts

Merging Sequential Overlapping Clips Via Timecode / Audio?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cadence Rose
Merging Sequential Overlapping Clips Via Timecode / Audio?
on Jun 21, 2013 at 5:21:37 am

I just imported footage from a friend's DV camera into Final Cut Pro. We had an issue importing part of it, so we rewound and started again from just before the issue occurred. This happened twice. Thus, I have the actual import spanning three separate clips, each with a few frames of overlap from the prior. They all share a common timecode.

My question at this point is what is the easiest, most straight forward way to merge all three of these into a single clip, discarding the duplicated overlapping bits?

Please note I'm brand new to FCPX and to serious video editing in general. That being said, I'm very experienced in audio editing across several pieces of software, image editing in Photoshop & being a programmer I pickup things very quickly. I've also done some work in iMovie and a tiny bit in FCPX, but nothing significant - this was my first time even importing from DV.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Merging Sequential Overlapping Clips Via Timecode / Audio?
on Jun 22, 2013 at 4:31:42 am

You can line them up end to end on the primary storyline and trim out the overlapped parts, making sure that the cuts between clips are perfect frame for frame, then export. The resulting file is your new master clip. Or create a compound clip of the three after trimming, the resulting compound clip is your new master clip.

If you're having trouble getting them lined up perfect, you can put one clip on top of the other so just the ends are overlapping, then lower the opacity of the top clip and use , or . to nudge the clip until the "ghost" lines up with the lower clip. Then trim the correct side of each clip to the play head and reset the opacity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]