FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple audio tracking sync'ing with FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott reynolds
Multiple audio tracking sync'ing with FCPX
on Jun 20, 2013 at 4:26:24 pm

Hi there,

I'm trying to sync multiple audio tracks (two lavs, one boom) with a single clip that has a stereo guide track. If I select the 3 externally recorded audio tracks and the video clip and synchronize, only a single externally recorded audio track is sync'd, not all three. It seems that I can sync the three externally recorded audio tracks by synching another audio track to the newly sync'd clip, and repeating the process, however this seems a bit cumbersome.

This would seem to be a pretty common requirement, so I am sure I'm just missing some part of the workflow. Any pointers/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
Re: Multiple audio tracking sync'ing with FCPX
on Jun 20, 2013 at 4:39:25 pm

Make the audio as one polyfile. The multitrack audio editing in FCP X also works best with polyfiles. Sound Devices WaveAgent software can batch do it.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:58:42 pm

This is actually our normal setup. We have multiple video clips and then 4 channels of audio in 2 stereo files (from an h4n). We have never had an instance when they didn't sync.

Try performing an analysis on the audio tracks and "remove silent channels". I've seen low level noise on a "silent" channel give the synchronizing trouble.

Also try creating a Multicam clip. See if that Syncs better.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

scott reynolds
on Jun 20, 2013 at 6:29:14 pm

Thanks for the pointers, but... I've analyzed the audio and removed the silent channels and I still have this problem.

Creating a multi-cam clip does work though, but I really thought that I would not need to go there, it seemed "wrong" to me.

I'm not sure whether the channel configuration has something to do with it. The video clip is obviously a stereo (with the guide tracks), but the externally recorded audio tracks are three separate mono channels.

I did a search on the Apple support forums, and I found an identical problem with someone having the identical setup as me - stereo guide tracks on the video and 3 mono channels.

This is such a stock standard configuration, I'm scratching my head as to why this is not working.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Jun 20, 2013 at 7:00:49 pm

The short answer is that synchronizing clips currently only works with single audio clips (that includes multi-channel clips as Jari mentioned).

The longer answer is that there is a way around it, but it involves syncing only the audio first into a new synchronized clip and then syncing that to the video clip. I record on a Roland R26 which records to two separate mono channels (a necessity to get it separately limit audio on each mic and also separately send phantom power to a single channel). I have used this method with two channels and it worked fine. No idea how it would work with 3 channels. But I do worry about the integrity of the final synced clips with lots of contained clips.

The best answer for now is the same as T's: sync them into multiclips.

Will you be finishing in FCPX?

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 20, 2013 at 8:54:41 pm

Humm.

Help me understand the problem with syncing more than one audio clip. Here is a shot of what I have on a project right now:

This was synced using synchronized clip and then placed in a compound clip and then broken apart. That way we have a "parent" interview clip that we can color correct, adjust audio, etc.

So from top to bottom.

7D Clip with Reference Audio
First Stereo file with Channel 1, the Sennheiser Lav, Channel 2 Rhode Video Mic
Second stereo file - H4n Built in stereo mic.

We keep the audio rolling in an interview like this and as you can see start and stop the camera:

Are you finding that you can't sync like this?

Also, we do most of our interview work with MultiCam clips, not Synced clips because I like the way it handles switching audio sources. There are some limitations, but no need to fear multi cam clip.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 20, 2013 at 9:25:02 pm

Not to mention, multiclips keep tc, synced clips don't, if that sort of thing is important to you.

Return to posts index

scott reynolds
on Jun 20, 2013 at 9:39:52 pm

T. what you are showing is how I would expect it to work, but when I select multiple audio clips and a single video clip and synchronize, I only get the reference stereo and one of the audio clips included in the newly generated synchronized clip.

Return to posts index

scott reynolds
on Jun 20, 2013 at 9:53:02 pm

Here's a couple of screen grabs.

This one shows the video clip with the stereo guide track.

This one shows the multi-mono channel audio, just before I syncrhoized.

Here, I created the sync'd clip.

And here are the audio properties of the sync'd clip

As you can see channels 2 and 3 were NOT added to the sync'd clip.

I have tried multi-cam clips and they do work OK, and a few posters have pointed out some advantages of going this route, so I might bite that off and see how it works.

Doing this project in FCP X is more of an experiment on my part, after reading some encouraging posts indicating that the product has matured sufficiently to be considered for more advanced work. I must admit, I'm still a bit skeptical, but I'll keep my mind open.

Thanks everyone.
Cheers,
Scott

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 20, 2013 at 10:23:53 pm

Hi Scott,

If you would be willing contact me via email I think I can help. It is my user name here without the period at my company name (see signature below) .net.

Maybe you can shoot me that really short clip and I can see if I can figure out what is happening as I have synced hundreds and hundreds of times in FCP X.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 20, 2013 at 10:00:39 pm

[scott reynolds] " when I select multiple audio clips and a single video clip and synchronize, I only get the reference stereo and one of the audio clips included in the newly generated synchronized clip."

So all the clips that you told to sync are not included in the synchronized clip, or do you mean that only 2 of them are synced while others are inserted at the beginning of the clip?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

scott reynolds
on Jun 20, 2013 at 10:06:44 pm

Not included at all unfortunately.

Return to posts index

scott reynolds
on Jun 21, 2013 at 8:37:45 pm

With some amazing detective work by T. Payton, there is a work around for this problem. The first step in the work around is to synchronize all the externally recorded audio tracks into a single clip. The second stage is simply sync'ing the original video clip, including the guide track and the sync'd clip created in step 1. The resulting clip includes all the audio - both guide and externally recorded tracks and their references in the audio pane of the inspector.

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed suggestions, and especially T. Payton who did the heavy lifting investigation into the issue.

Regards,
Scott

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2013 at 1:27:06 am

[scott reynolds] "The resulting clip includes all the audio - both guide and externally recorded tracks and their references in the audio pane of the inspector. "

Nice work.

What this does is create a polyphonic (multichannel) source, and then you sync the polyphonic FCPX clip to the video and guide track.

There was advice given earlier (and simply another way to do this) is to use Wave Agent from Sound Devices. This will create polyphonic files from disparate mono files. You would do this before importing and editing in FCPX.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/waveagent/key-features/

This combines your 3 mono wav files in to one wav file with three channels. This cuts down on the amount of synchronized clips in your Event. You can then select ALL of the polyphonic clips in the Browser and assign names to the components or use only certain channels/etc. FCPX does work fairly well with polyphonic clips provided that all selected clips have the same number of channels. If they don't, then you have to edit metadata on those clips separately. Fortunately, FCPX has a decent channel count display so you can easily sort the browser by channel count and make your determinations from there.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 23, 2013 at 10:42:39 pm

HI All,

I believe I narrowed down the bug here. Syncing more that to items which contain audio result in a synchronized clip with an improper audio configuration.

I believe this is not a syncing error but rather the audio configuration error which shows itself when synchronizing clips. I sent off a bug report. I would recommend that others who have experienced this do the same.

I realize why I have never seen this before even through I have multiple audio files to sync. My workflow with synchronized clips is:

1- Create a multicam clip.

2- Sync clips, then place in compound clip and break apart the synchronized clip. I do this to make is easier to modify the audio or color correct a video for a long interview (which is normally what I need to synchronize).

Other workarounds:

So the two items above are workarounds, and the third is to never sync more that 2 clips. So for 3 audio clips (A,B & C) and one video clip (V).

1 - synchronize A&B, resulting in D
2 - synchronize D&C, resulting in E
3 - synchronize E&V, resulting in your final synchronized clip with proper audio configuration.

Remember if this effects you, send the bug report off to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 23, 2013 at 11:05:38 pm

BTW. If you are wondering how to reproduce this problem. Just follow the procedure here:

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/#verc1fabc30

In all the tests I have done, one video clip and 2 audio clips will sync correctly, but the resulting clip will have the wrong audio configuration and you won't be able to access both audio clips independently.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Michael Williams
on Jan 13, 2015 at 1:23:44 am

Found this thread hoping it would address my issue, but not quite...
I have 8 audio clips that were from lav mics worn by 8 different people, recorded by separate recorders. There were 7 cameras, some moving around, others fixed in several rooms. Each camera generated a few clips, and the clips have embedded audio.

In the audio clips from the lav mics, the sound is for the person wearing that mic. Each mic made a single long clip spanning all the video clips.

In the video clips, the camera audio has whatever is in the room (fixed cams) or field of view (moving cams). I don't want to use the camera audio much, just for a tiny bit of room ambience.

The people were moving from room to room during the video clips.

So what I need to do (I think!) is sync and then cut the sequence of video shots (preferably using the multicam angle editor if possible). Then for each cut, have only the audio from the mics of people on camera in that cut.

I've tried making a multicam clip using all 8 audio tracks, along with all the video clips, but after selecting the cuts, how do I go through and enable/disable the audio lanes, so we only hear people who were on camera in that cut?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jan 13, 2015 at 2:59:14 pm

This is covered pretty well in the manual (it is amazing how handy it is ;) Have a look here:

Multichannel audio editing examples
http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.1/#verdcd16ec

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Michael Williams
on Jan 13, 2015 at 3:55:03 pm

Thanks TP will try that. Are we saying that each cut within the multicam clip on the timeline will be granted it's own channel configuration then? Or will the channel configuration span all the cuts within the multicam clip? I would need the former to be able to change which mics are active on a per cut basis.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jan 13, 2015 at 4:51:26 pm

Oh it's totally flexible, and fantastic too. Make your multicam clip and then in the browser the clip selected (or multiple clips) name the audio channels, for example this:

Then on a clip by clip basis you can disable audio channels completely by just disabling them in the inspector. Then when you expand audio components you can trim, change overall volume, keyframe, apply effects, etc. to individual channels of audio.

It's the most fantastical thing ever. ;)

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Oscar SantamarĂ­a
on Oct 2, 2015 at 4:25:25 pm

I'm aware this is an old thread but I've searching around and have found this is pretty close to the problem I'm experiencing. My clips are made of one video track and 4 mono audio sources, each one of them is roled as boom 1, boom 2, rf 1 and rf2. At he beginning I had this issue of only being able to see in the inspector a mixed channel with all the sources. I could fix this by getting into its own timeline and breaking items apart until they couldn't be broken apart anymore. So, if one of this clips is opened in its own timeline it shows one video track and 4 audio. If I check them in the inspector it shows the same, there are my four mono audio and roles are correctly assign. All fine until I started editing.

Here starts the weird stuff. If I take one of this clips and blade it, or copy/paste it or any kind of manipulation, channels start to get wrong. For example, I usually disable all but boom 1 as I prefer to cut that way. If I copy and paste the clip, next instance of the clip will show that only my first channel it's activated but it plays a different source (for example rf 2, it seems to be pretty random). Even worst, it keeps the name and waveform of boom 1.

Some clips do this and some don't. Can't find a reason to it or a different procedure I did on those. Sometimes they even get wrong if I close and open fcpx.

It's been an enormous nightmare as I'm a cutting a feature film and need to output audio correctly labeled to protools.

Any piece of advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]