FORUMS: list search recent posts

transitions and layers

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
transitions and layers
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:58:32 pm

Why does, and/or how do I stop:

if i have say a series of text generators on my timeline and I group them together as a compound clip and I want to use a transition filter to get them off the screen, why when i put the transition on the compound clip does the transition filter affect the clip beneath my compound which in this case is my image over which the text sits.

It isn't just this scenario, have more than one layer of stuff and you add a transition to the top layer then the transition affects the bottom too, for example it will run the transition on the top layer then at the end blur or move or whatever the clip below.

Right pain in the rear, making a lot of transition use as effects impossible. Now this was something you could do in 7, so am I missing something or is this just another bug?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
Re: transitions and layers
on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:40:05 pm

Most probably because the transition you use is meant to work between two pictures. In this case when created in Motion the A and B sides of the transition are included in the effect. If you apply it on a title, there is no A side so FCPX will use whatever is underneath to "feed" that. Your B side will be the title.

In order to avoid this you need to edit the transition in Motion and deactivate the A side of the transition:

Then use the copy that you will find in FCPX.

There are a lot more posts about this here, a search should produce good results.

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:08:22 pm

That does indeed help, thank you very much. Explains why it happens and I guess I need to learn a bit about Motion again.

Still, have to say, from a position of naivity, seems a bit of a flaw in the way transitions are designed as it didn't used to happen in 7. Still... ho hum.

Thank you again for explaining though, appreciated. And I shall google when I get the time and figure things out.

Cheers

Jules

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Jun 19, 2013 at 6:23:38 pm

Glad to help.

I think issues like these underline how "symbiotic" Motion and FCPX have become and, I would imagine, will be even more in the future.

The ability for one to design, within certain limits, his own effects without coding is unique. IMHO a selling point for FCPX too. Of course it means we now must learn Motion as well ;-)

Maybe the standard effects loaded in fcpx should have been more basic? But then we'd have had even more of a knee-jerk reaction to it ?

BTW, to learn the basics of Motion I would recommend Ripple training.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jun 19, 2013 at 10:18:57 pm

Would be nice if the A and B sides of the built-in transitions were published toggles...

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jun 20, 2013 at 11:49:06 am

Pardon me but I think the cause has been missed.

The text layers being used probably have a drop zone in them that 'takes on' whatever video lies below it. This characteristic drove me crazy at first until I discovered that.

If you start Motion and select the Text effect in the project browser you'll see the window open with a text object alright, but also with the drop zone. Unless I need that drop zone (which I haven't yet) then the first thing I do is delete it and then create my text effect.

I've taken stacked text objects that have no drop zone in them and put them into a compound clip and dissolved out of them often.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jun 20, 2013 at 2:00:40 pm

Hi Don,

That may be the case in some instances. However, I also experience this issue when applying certain transitions to introduce or remove logos / graphics. No text (or drop zones) involved - just a simple, connected graphic.

I really need to RTFM all the way through...

Doug

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jun 20, 2013 at 2:13:08 pm

Hhhhmmm... I do this all the time without a problem. It seems that SOMETHING inside that CC has a drop zone that affects the underlying layer.

Try putting the CC into a CC.

I've also used the trick of putting any trash video clip at the bottom of the stack within the CC and taking its opacity all the way down so that whatever is acting in the video clip below it is now acting on an invisible clip.

Hope any of this helps.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]