FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red workflow audio problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Markgraf
Red workflow audio problem
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:44:19 am

Experimenting with footage shot on Red at 5k, 23.98. Got the plugin for X. Copied tons of files over to my raid (G Speed raid, 6 2TB drives striped Raid 0). Yay, I see files. Not so yay, sometimes they drop frames. Oh well, I guess I'll make proxies.

Bigger problem: no audio on the clips. DP swears he recorded camera sound along with a separate audio recorder. The imported Red clips show an audio waveform, but no audio plays. Separate audio plays fine (even though the sound guy recorded at 44.1k instead of 48k).

Any thoughts?

Jeff M.
MacBook Pro Retina 2.3 gHz i7, 16 gig, 12 TB fiber raid via ATTO card in a Sonnet PCI to TBolt adapter, AJA Kona 3 via Sonnet adapter,

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Red workflow audio problem
on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:25:18 am

With the RED plugins you should be able to play those clips in the QuickTime Player as well. Do you hear audio. Is the waveform flat or does it show peaks and valleys? Dropping frames is not unheard of with RED footage.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:01:27 am

You can always check the files on redcine-x pro as well (free).

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jun 19, 2013 at 6:05:54 am

Hi Jeremy.

Downloaded Redcine-X Pro. Apparently many of the files don't have audio after all. Interesting that FCP shows a "ghost" audio waveform on the silent files, but it doesn't look like a typical audio waveform. Lots of spikes and blocks of square wave-looking stuff. Weird.

On the dropping frames note... I was led to believe that I should be able to play these files no sweat, at least on the "better performance" setting. So I'm a little puzzled at the poor playback. I'm also seeing FCP stall and beachball on this footage, requiring a restart. And Redcine will only play smoothly at the default 1/8 debayer. I wonder if 2k and 4k is OK, but 5k is just too much?

FWIW, the MacBook Pro is closed, feeding one monitor with TBolt/display port to DVI, and another monitor HDMI to DVI (for the 2nd monitor fullscreen viewer). The AJA disk speed utility reports about 374 M/sec from the raid.

Maybe I'm asking too much of this system?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 19, 2013 at 1:25:48 pm

[Jeff Markgraf] "Maybe I'm asking too much of this system?"

A 5k Red Raw workflow on a laptop is going to be very difficult to do in raw and in real time.

A thunderbolt attached red rocket card would help, but it is not the cheapest avenue.

Using fcpx to generate proxies is a fine way to do it, and will allow real time editing as well as instant connection back to the raw if you need it.

Also, RCX Pro, accepts fcpx XML, so you can confiorm back there as well. Whatever suits your needs best.

----

On a separate note and question, how is your PCIe extender working for you with the Kona and ATTO?

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:13:11 am

James, QT-X (or 10, or whatever the new one is called) does not recognize the R3D files. Maybe QT Pro?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]