COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron darby
FCP7 method in FCPX
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:24:10 am

Im just starting to use FCPX after years on FCP7

I use a method in FCP7 I would like to use in FCPX, but having issues with it

Method
I like to have 2 monitors, one with timeline, timeline viewer and viewer for bin clips, Project bin with effects and other bins in list mode, pretty much standard layout.

the other monitor is filled with what ever bin I am working on in thumbnail mode, I do not name my clips rather I find them visually. I know this my not be the most efficient, but works for me, I put out 4 1/2 shows a month this way.

In FCPX I have the monitors set up like I described above, but when I click on a clip in the bin so it loads into its ben viewer window, I can not scrub it like in FCP7 (FCP7 playhead under the viewer window)

Seems like the only way is to either scrub, or use JKL, or click on the play arrow under the window.
I am use to dragging a playhead with my mouse.

Is there a menu that will allow this playhead to appear?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: FCP7 method in FCPX
on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:05:18 am

Unfortunately no. Heck, we just got a viewer window this year! No scrubbing under the window as of yet. One crazy advancement at a time. Lets not rush into these things.

Scrub in the event simply by dragging the mouse over the clip. If you are like me and have the event filling your second monitor, then you can put it in list view for scrubbing where you get a long clip to scrub across the top. So get used to finding your shot in thumbnail / filmstrip view, and then switching to list view to get some accurate scrubbing and marking. And yes, it's completely horrible ergonomics since you've got your head looking one way while you're scrubbing on a screen the other way. It's a bit ridiculous at the moment.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:43:56 am

Ron,

There will come a day when the way X works just "clicks" - it sometimes takes a few weeks - sometimes a few months. When it does - speed and freedom and a sense of ease will be all tied up in understanding that your efficiency in Legacy wasn't necessarily because it was the best way to edit. But because it was the way you understood how to edit.

In X there's a new way. It integrates work outside of just "the timeline" and until you explore that enough to start to see how pre-work drives exceptional efficiency later on, it just won't be clear.

The event browser will become FAR MORE than "bins" and windows into clips. It will become it's own workspace - and as you master it - you'll spend less and less time trying to recapture the way you worked before. Because honestly, for most program building, many of us have discovered that there ARE better ways than the old NLE constraints of having to do all your "editing" in the timeline.

Be patient. And don't try to make X work like Legacy. Embrace what it is. Not what you used to do.

My advice anyway.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:31:06 am

I totally agree with Bill. Even though most of my work does not require me to use much, if any, of the organizational tools in FCPX (I just import to event, add to timeline In chronological order, trim, tweak, title, export). It wasn't until I understood how these tools worked, that I was comfortable enough to not need to use them.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 19, 2013 at 6:24:40 am

Yep,

Except of course since I've learned to use the Event Browser well, I often get to skip a lot of the stuff between import and trim for a program as simple as David describes and just tap the W key to get my rough done .

Magnetism is a BOSS given good trim and scene selection work in the EB

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 19, 2013 at 1:36:05 pm

See, I use it differently. While the events have great new tools and I use them quite a bit, I find myself doing MORE of my editing in the timeline because of its non-destructive nature and new found speed. You can just rough a shot in the event and toss it roughly in the timeline without any worry of it overwriting or knocking something out of sync. Things just move out of the way vertically. And there's no worry about destroying a rendered section because when you trim the roughed in clip back, the render will return. No more worry about precise track matching and precise 3 point editing to avoid this. You can more quickly and freely edit IN the timeline in relation to adjacent clips and timing.

Still doesn't address my peeve about list view not having a simple thumbnail. And there certainly should be a scrubber UNDER the event viewer or have the ability to move the ev to the same screen as the event for ergonomic reasons. And having multiple event windows would certainly be a plus. For example one could be in list view and the other in filmstrip view. Each displaying separate keyword collections.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 19, 2013 at 6:32:28 pm

This makes sense.

As always, a good tool adapts to the working style of the user.

And if someone enjoys working with X nearly exclusively in timeline mode, that's totally cool.

The bottom line is that it's a very flexible tool.

I enjoy exploring in X what I could NOT do in my years of Legacy editing. For those that enjoy doing a new version of what they did before - rock on.

Plenty of room here for personal style and variation. Which is great.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]