FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X problems recognizing Event/Project folders on a external HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Williams
FCP X problems recognizing Event/Project folders on a external HD
on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:38:06 pm

So, I have FCP X 1.0.8. I was trying to ingest Sony EX-1 footage into FCP X using Sony's free transfer plugin PDZK-LT2. I downloaded and installed the plugin.

Now FCP X is doing all sorts of weird stuff. I have all my project and event files on a 1tB 7200rpm thunderbolt external and when FCP X boots, it recognizes those folders for a moment and then "ejects" the drive, losing its connectivity to the drive/folders/events/projects.

I have tried the "trick" that a quick google search recommends in that making sure there are no folders on the drive titled "video" or "clip" etc. has not worked.

Am I doing something wrong here? Please help.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: FCP X problems recognizing Event/Project folders on a external HD
on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:30:14 pm

You don't make it clear, but does the Mac itself see the drive as properly mounted? If so, have you tried repairing permissions from the Disk Utility App?

Also, in the drive's "Get Info" panel, is the "Ignore permissions on this drive" or "Ignore ownership on this drive" under Sharing and Permissions checked?

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Joe Williams
on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:48:56 pm

Finder sees the drive as mounted.

Ignore ownership is checked.

Also, I rebooted FCP X again to try an import for the EX-1 footage that caused this problem. At the import screen FCP X recognized the external as a camera (!?!) and proceeded to load every single file, with out any organization whatsoever, into my import window. This took about 5 min.

I will be at my computer and if anyone needs more info, just ask.

Thanks for all the help.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:18:56 pm

You can impart some organization to the files in the import window by clicking the column headings. I usually sort imports by timecode (sorting by reel # is also good) as that lines up easily with my shot lists. Not sure about the camera designation. It may be how FCPX sees EX1 footage. My MXF files show up on a drive under the Devices heading.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:52:35 pm

Joe - it appears that there is still something on that disk that's identifying it to FCP X as camera media. Can you list the folders and files in the root of the drive typing this command in a Terminal followed by dragging the volume from your desktop to the Terminal:

sudo ls -la

You'll be prompted for your user password and then you'll see the Unix-recognized layout. Maybe one of us will recognize another file or folder that's causing this improper recognition.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Joe Williams
on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:59:13 pm

Ok, thats as far as I can go. A sudo command w/o proper authorization prompts an auto report to tech. (FYI i work at a major publishing company) I will let you know what they say. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 14, 2013 at 5:27:54 pm

You can try it without the sudo and see what you get. It should work properly since you indicate that Ignore permissions is turned on for the drive.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Joe Williams
on Jun 14, 2013 at 5:36:59 pm

Here you go. Thanks for the patience/perseverance

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 14, 2013 at 5:58:48 pm

Close, but not quite -

We need "ls -la"

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]