FORUMS: list search recent posts

Placing 1920x1440 GoPro clip in frame full width & best technique for vertical axix "panning"?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Underwood
Placing 1920x1440 GoPro clip in frame full width & best technique for vertical axix "panning"?
on Jun 13, 2013 at 11:25:03 pm

I've shot a lot of Hero3 Black underwater footage (1440 high) and would like to ease in & ease out of "vertical pans" or "ripples" of the clip. Any quick, easy way to do this? There are many clips I'd use this on.

Also, I'm shooting with Protune and wondering if there is any benefit to processing the footage in Cineform Studio before importing to FCX... or is the grading in FCX (with additional plugin choices) going to do as well or better?

Thanks!

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: iMac 27", (Mid 2011), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.4GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 24GB
AMD Radeon HD 697OM, FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03
GRAID 8TB Thunderbolt

Computer: MacBookPro (Mid 2009), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core2Duo, Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Software: FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Placing 1920x1440 GoPro clip in frame full width & best technique for vertical axix "panning"?
on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:11:40 am

[Stephen Underwood] " would like to ease in & ease out of "vertical pans" or "ripples" of the clip."

I don't understand this.

Is your camera footage shaky? Have you tried X's built in shot stabilizer? If so did that not do what you wanted?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
Re: Placing 1920x1440 GoPro clip in frame full width & best technique for vertical axis "panning"?
on Jun 14, 2013 at 12:28:10 pm

No, the footage is not shaky. Say I have a tripod shot of a scene that is 1440 high. I'm editing in a 1920x1080 timeline. So, I'd like a simple way to keyframe and gently pan/scroll 'up or down' to reveal the "extra area" of the shot, easing in and out of the move... Hope this helps clarify...

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: iMac 27", (Mid 2011), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.4GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 24GB
AMD Radeon HD 697OM, FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03
GRAID 8TB Thunderbolt

Computer: MacBookPro (Mid 2009), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core2Duo, Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Software: FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Placing 1920x1440 GoPro clip in frame full width & best technique for vertical axis "panning"?
on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:44:54 pm

OK,

That is ridiculously simple in X.

Below the main viewer window in the lower left corner is a transform tab. Click on that and choose Crop. Then you'll get three choices including Ken Burns.

It's a pre-built way to automate pans, zooms, pushes and pulls by simply dragging rectangles to the start and end postions you select. Ease in and ease out are the default.

If you just want a vertical move - make the Start and End frames the same size, and move them to the top and bottom of your clip.

If you want more control than that, you can to to the Inspector for any selected clip - go to the Transform Tab and build in coordinates for moves, but the KB effect is WAY easier and often gets you great results in a very few clicks.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]