FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to feather a rectangle shape in FCPX and add drop shadow?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Vasey
how to feather a rectangle shape in FCPX and add drop shadow?
on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:18:38 pm

I am in the middle of my 30 day free trial of FCPX 10.0.8 and one simple graphic element has me stumped.

In FCP 7 I could make a rectangle with the shapes generator, fill it with color, feather the edges for softness AND add a drop shadow to edges of the box. It was part of a custom lower third...I was creating a text box with a colored background and the actual lower third text was another element on a video layer above it.

In FCPX I found the shape generator...but couldn't find a way to simultaneously "feather" the edges AND add a drop shadow to the edges of the rectangle box I created.

Is there a third party plug-in that will allow FEATHER and DROP SHADOW to the edges of a TEXT BOX? Without having to go to MOTION...which doesn't have a 30 day trial. Was hoping to accomplish this within FCPX or with a compatible plug-in that I could try during my 30 day free trial.

I love that look of the box I had in FCP 7...and thought it would be very easy to replicate it in FCPX. Hopefully someone can help out with some advice.

John

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: how to feather a rectangle shape in FCPX and add drop shadow?
on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:50:49 pm

I would definitely recommend having Motion for that. Here's an example of a free Motion effect you could find that does exactly what you want:

http://www.fcp.co/forum/9-free-fcpx-plugins-and-templates/2164-free-fcpx-sh...

Or you could simply edit the existing Shape Generator in Motion and publish its feather parameter for FCPX- also free once you have Motion.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 13, 2013 at 7:13:14 pm

Could accomplish probably what you want with a solid and the crop and feather effect, or the mask effect, then add the drop shadow effect.

Return to posts index

John Vasey
on Jun 14, 2013 at 9:01:35 pm

Thanks, Brett...I did try the combo of tools you suggest (the solid with crop and feather, then mask, then drop shadow), but on my first pass I could not seem to quite replicate the same look and feel of what I had in FCP 7 in terms of a feathered text background box with drop shadow. However, I will give it a second try to see if I can produce a better result.

Return to posts index

John Vasey
on Jun 14, 2013 at 9:04:44 pm

Thanks, James...I did check out the link you shared and this is precisely the kind of all in one tool that would allow me to achieve the effect that I want...provided I have Motion. It seems like getting that software is a no brainer if one is committed to FCPX.

Happy to see that what I want to do is within my reach!

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]