FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 4.x - Does it convert MXF files to MOV?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
Compressor 4.x - Does it convert MXF files to MOV?
on Jun 12, 2013 at 6:51:13 pm

If I just buy the newest Compressor 4.x as a standalone app, does it allow me to grab mxf files and convert (rewrap) to MOV or ProRes? I have a client that doesn't have MXF viewer ability, and always previews the shots with MOV on his mac. I'd rather not have to do this for him all the time, but let him do it. (he's technically savvy enough). I usually strip the MXF files on my shoots via the Canon utility (export to MXF) but that, I've found, makes even viewing them in the old FCP impossible. It's expecting the entire file structure, which is a PITA to deal with when editing.

The old compressor (3.x) does not allow you to choose individual clips first. You have to import them into FCP 7 and export the sequence. For various reasons, I don't want to do this. Nor does the client.

Thanks.

Al

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
Re: Compressor 4.x - Does it convert MXF files to MOV?
on Jun 12, 2013 at 7:32:25 pm

Could Sony's Content Browser be your answer ?

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCP7/X
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 12, 2013 at 7:56:52 pm

Just installed it. Nope. It appears to have some way of looking at non Sony MXF files and not showing them. Nice try though! Thanks! I'll certainly keep this handy if I shoot with a Sony user!

Al

Return to posts index

Kyle Bass
on Jun 12, 2013 at 9:39:40 pm

There is a free MXF player available for Mac if your client doesn't mind downloading and installing it.

http://hamburgpromedia.com/products/mxf4mac/applications/mxf-for-mac-player...

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jun 15, 2013 at 2:17:31 pm

Try XDCAM Transfer version 12 or so. I think that does rewrap too. That's from Sony, free. It's not the same as the Content Browser.

Other option is, go to the website of Convergent Design. They have, under their downloads software somewhere a utility that goes from MOV to MXF and vice versa.

but I would rather work with XDCAM transfer. It allows much more files at the same time, in one batch.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 15, 2013 at 3:13:04 pm

Thanks. I apparently have to register for this, which I'll do. But it seems awfully Sony specific. Like the other software viewer from them, I'll have to see whether it works with Canon's version of MXF.

Obviously in the future I'll just run the MXF footage (If there's a next time for this client) through Adobe 's converter. It appears that FCP X's Compressor does not do this kind of conversion, or if it does, it's not advertised.

The odd thing was that when I tried to do it in Adobe's converter, it would only allow me to do interlaced conversion from 1080p footage, or take it down to 720p. Wierd. I wonder why that is? I'll have to ask the Adobe boards.

Anyone know for sure if Compressor does convert mxf files to mov?

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]