FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archive / Multiple Projects to Events

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Camp
Archive / Multiple Projects to Events
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:26:38 pm

I am new to FCPX, been using 7 and Premiere. I have 3 events that are referenced by 10 different sequences. I want to back it all up, projects, media, events, etc. I tried duplicating the projects and copying the files but that duplicates the files per project. Any suggestions on the easiest way to archive 3 events / 10 projects cross referencing each other? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Archive / Multiple Projects to Events
on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:17:54 pm

Yes! Take all your sequences (projects) and copy and paste them into one single project.

Then, use that overall project to create the backup and the singular event containing just the clips used, etc.

Now you have one event containing just the clips used (or everything if you like, but then you could have just merged the events instead). At this point, you can simply repoint the 10 projects to the new event and delete the project you used to create the new event. You do that under "modify event references" in the inspector when you're in the project library.

If you're going to now move the event and the project folders to an archive location, I'd highlight the event and choose to organize event files. That will copy all linked media to the event folder. (Perhaps they shoudl call that function "copy linked files to event folder" - duh Apple)

Now to archive, just move the event and the projects at the finder level to wherever you want. Or have FCP X do it. I do it in the finder, but I shut down FCP, move it, delete or hide the original, etc.

Now, if I'm misunderstanding, and you want to backup ALL the event and project files, then there wasn't much reason to do any of the above. Just organize the event and then move the event and project files to wherever you want to store them. But I tend to do a consolidation which is what I was describing. I'm looking to duplicate the project(s) and only include USED media. So that's the point of copying all the projects into one project. So you can create a singular event including ONLY used media from the multiple projects.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Archive / Multiple Projects to Events
on Jun 12, 2013 at 2:31:11 am

I just found this in my lafcpug email. Same info, but longer and much better laid out step by step

http://www.lafcpug.org/Tutorials/basic_fcpx_archiving.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]