FORUMS: list search recent posts

LOST a FCPX Project????

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charity Meinhart
LOST a FCPX Project????
on Jun 7, 2013 at 8:47:49 pm

Hi guys. Of course the first project I ever work on in FCPX would disappear :) I was very close to finished when my startup disk became full. I quickly exited the program and moved all the Final Cut folders over to my thunderbolt drive and deleted them from my SSD... hoping FCPX would be smart enough to relink them (it had been doing fine before).

So now, everything is gone. When I first tried to open the event it played my almost finished video in the play window, but there was nothing in the timeline. I existed and tried importing all my source files (those hadn't moved- they were always on the thunderbolt). Then I opened the project and it says "Loading [project name] into the timeline" but it never finishes (or even seems to start).

Any help for this desperate lady?

Everywhere I go, there I am.
http://www.charitymeinhartdesign.com/

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: LOST a FCPX Project????
on Jun 7, 2013 at 9:49:46 pm

Does the project open if you move it back to your startup disk?

FCPX is database driven and moving a project to another drive is something that should be done within the application.

I recently had a hard drive crash and was forced to move a project using the Finder and I can say it took a very long time for FCPX to open the project. From memory it was three or four hours of waiting while (I guess) it searched the hard drive and rebuilt its database.

If you've had it open for any length of time, it might be too late but you could try using the Finder and restoring the project backup file that FCPX keeps in the project folder.

Other than that, I'd take the event offline, and try getting the project to open properly. Lots of missing media warnings is better than an empty timeline. Then I'd bring the event back, and try relinking the event in the project info panel.

My only concern would be that you said you re-imported the media... Hopefully that was from within FCPX? Again, being very metadata and database driven if you make changes to anything outside of the application, you run the risk of it never reconnecting.

I'm no sure if any of that is especially helpful but let me know how you go and maybe I can think of something else.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 7, 2013 at 10:55:59 pm

Jeff's got it pretty much right.

When you drag FCP-X assets around between hard drives you can think of it like having a cork board full of pictures. Each picture has a thumb tack in the center. Strings are tied to each thumbtack - and then run to OTHER pictures on the corkboard creating relationships between the pictures. Each picture can be tied to multiple other pictures. This is a visual of the relationships you create when you put assets into the X database and link things by ranges to both projects and events. Everything is interconnected. Everything has positions and linkages to other positions that are known.

When you use the MOVE command within FCP-X - you're essentially cloning your bullitin board taking special care to preserve all those relationships you've created during editing operations.

When you drag folder of stuff around with the finder, you're unhooking all the strings and just gathering your pictures into a big folder to move them to another room - then asking the software to put all your unique strings back linking everything to everythng else. It's a MUCH harder job than back in the days of standard NLEs where there were fewer and simpler connections between stuff.

This is significantly over-simplified, but it gives you the sense of why the long-time X editors here keep saying that you can't operate X like your old NLE software. It's got a database structure that is VERY powerful, but VERY interconnected. And if you take scissors to the strings by moving stuff around by drag and drop on your desktop, there's no guarantee you'll get those strings re-tied properly to re-create all the relationships.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:01:56 pm

FCPX will only see projects and events if they are located in a specific place.

On your system drive, that's in:
~/Movies/Final Cut Projects and ~/Movies/Final Cut Events

On any other drive, such as a second internal or an external, they need to be located in the highest level of the drive like this:

/External Hard Drive Name/Final Cut Events
/External Hard Drive Name/Final Cut Projects

Otherwise FCPX won't see it. There is an exception to this, where if using an xsan you can store your projects and events anywhere, then specify its location within FCPX.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

Anne Ross
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:24:54 pm

Is it possible, also, to provide an exemplar that trees out a proper layout for the several default folders (Final Cut Events, Final Cut Projects, Backups [the folder that contains a uniquely numbered .fcpproject file], CurrentVersion.fcpproject, Render Files [containing a Thumbnail Media folder containing multiple long-number folders containing Frame files and an Info.plist file], Shared Items, CurrentVersion.fcpevent, OldVersions, Backups [the folder that contains a uniquely numbered .fcpevent file]) in order that I might reconstruct my project/event files?

Without the proper understanding you just mentioned, I copied and moved files to different drives, with such results as conflicts where FCP X won't open a second version that has the same identifier, or the program consistently crashing either before it fully opens or if I hover my cursor over one of the offending projects (i.e., one I've moved elsewhere but not from inside the program).

Since I can see all the myriad long-number files inside the different folders (i.e., all my hours of editing work), I don't want to just junk everything because I can't get the project to launch (from either inside or outside FCP X). If I could get the project to launch of course, I'd immediately copy it from inside FCP X and give it a new name and copy to my different drives from within the program.

Also, if a .fcpproject file or a .plist file has gone missing, is recovery hopeless?

Thanks much for your expertise and generosity.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Aug 25, 2013 at 5:10:48 pm

All you need is the fcpproject and fcpevent, the rest will recreate automatically upon launch. Its important to move an old version of an event out of the final cut events folder before reopening fcpx to avoid the multiple identifiers message. I find it useful to have a folder called "Final Cut Events (hidden)" and "Final Cut Projects (hidden)" to move events and projects I don't need temporarily. Its handy to have as few events as possible to speed up launch, and good for isolating problems to a particular event/project.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Anne Ross
on Aug 28, 2013 at 2:24:33 pm

Thanks much for this.

Return to posts index

Anne Ross
on Aug 28, 2013 at 2:26:21 pm

Found a little program online for $4.99 called Event Manager X that provides an interface for hiding/unhiding FCPX projects, FYI.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]