FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relink Problem - Event Online, Seemingly Random Clips in Project Offline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Trubac
Relink Problem - Event Online, Seemingly Random Clips in Project Offline
on Jun 6, 2013 at 8:10:33 pm

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

• I do not copy my media to my final cut event folder.

• I purchased a new raid a few months back. Pegasus R4, 4x2TB.

• I copied my media folders, final cut events and final cut projects to the new raid with the finder.

• When I open FCPX all media in the event and projects are offline. This is expected.

• I relink event files. Everything goes as expected, and the event reports all files online.

However, my project that references the event has 109 missing clips out of 263. The missing clips seem random on first observation. I can locate the missing clips in my event, and see that they are online in the event.

I select to relink project files. I hit locate all, and browse to the directory of the missing media file. Click choose and all of the offline files in the directory are verified and appear under "files matched" in the relink window. I go through the directories until I have matched 109 of 109 files. Then I click relink files. It looks like it is working, but when it is done my project still shows my media is offline, and I have the same 109 missing files.

I have tried relinking and checking to copy the relinked files to the event folder. I get the same result.

The media files in question are Canon 5D Mark ii and 7D H.264 files. I maintain the directory structure from the cf card; everything placed inside a folder titled "PROJECT DATE - NAME - CAMERA - CARD #" > DCIM > 100EOS5D >

There are several missing/offline files from each folder representing each of my 7 CF cards.

Any clue how to get this media back online?

I am using FCPX 10.0.8, on OSX 10.8.3, 2012 iMac 27". The project and event had to be updated from an earlier version of FCPX. I believe the last time the project was opened was 10.0.7.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Relink Problem - Event Online, Seemingly Random Clips in Project Offline
on Jun 6, 2013 at 10:40:58 pm

If you single click the Project in the Event library, does it show only one Event referenced?

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
Re: link Problem - Event Online, Seemingly Random Clips in Project Offline
on Jun 6, 2013 at 11:04:36 pm

Yes sir. 1 event.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Jun 6, 2013 at 11:34:19 pm

Are any of the offline ones Compound Clips? Does it make any difference if you cut/paste everything into a new Project?

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Jun 7, 2013 at 12:01:12 am

It appears the offline clips are just clips. I do have a few compound clips in the project. Some of those contain both online and offline clips.

I tried copying and pasting the timeline into a new project and nothing was different.

I'd really like to figure this one out. Its a large project.. About 17 minutes. It seems kind of like a bug though.. especially since I can relink the project clips and fcpx verifies them, and runs through the relink status bar, but when it finishes it has no effect.

If anyone has ideas, I'll give them a try. FWIW, I sent a bug report to Apple.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2013 at 12:08:02 am

Can you match frame back to the clip from the Project to the Event (shift-f)?

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Jun 7, 2013 at 1:40:15 am

Sounds more like there's a problem with your system- I'd run through this

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3893

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2013 at 1:41:20 am

Also, when you single click a clip in the project and check the info status, what does it tell you about the file?

Is it missing anything? What's the name and path?

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Jun 7, 2013 at 11:47:02 am

I cannot match frame. The info column does have the in and out point info... so if I have to I can go back and redo the hundreds of edits from the reconnected clips in the event -- 109 missing clips.

The offline files don't show the codec or color profile information.

File status shows the file path as being in my event > original media folder.. same as the clips that are online.

It says the clip references the following events.. lists my 1 event.. and then says 1 clip in use, 1 clip missing.

I found I still have a copy of 10.0.7, so I will try opening a copy of my backup with that. I'll let you know.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2013 at 11:56:33 am

Have you tried clicking modify event references to see of that will help to restablish the path?

If you reimport one of the missing files, does it relink?

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Jun 7, 2013 at 12:17:29 pm

I've tried both. No go.

I've even tried deleting all of the references from the event's original media folder and relinking. The event relinked fine, but the project still had 109 offline clips.

I'm pretty sure I tried relinking the project before the event too. I got the same or a similar result.. Maybe I should try that one again though.. I can't really remember.

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Jun 7, 2013 at 2:23:56 pm

I tried opening the event/project on an older iMac that I have hanging around. It still has 10.0.7 installed. This means the project and event don't have to be updated to 10.0.8. I connected to the Pegasus R4 raid over gigabit AFP, and relinked all the media. Again the Event seemed to relink perfectly. The project not so. I actually have more clips missing from the project than I do on my main system 114 vs 109.

I tried duplicating the event. Clicked modify event references, dragged the duplicated event to the top of the list and continued. The project shows the duplicated event as having 154 clips in use. The original event has 114 clips in use, 114 clips missing. Its the same on the main system.. just the numbers are distributed differently 159/109.

If I click on a clip in the project timeline, i see in the info status that the clip is from the original event, 1 clip in use/1 clip missing.

I'm thinking I'll wait till next week.. see if there is a fcpx update (fingers crossed with more flexible relinking). If not, I'll probably have to reference the in/out points on the offline clips in my timeline, and re edit them from the event. Boo!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2013 at 4:08:27 pm

[Matt Trubac] "I'm thinking I'll wait till next week.. see if there is a fcpx update (fingers crossed with more flexible relinking). If not, I'll probably have to reference the in/out points on the offline clips in my timeline, and re edit them from the event. Boo!
"

I wouldn't wait and just get to work.

Once you find an in point, mark in and option-r.

I wonder what changed about the media?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Jun 7, 2013 at 4:15:11 pm

As far as I know only its location.

Apple got in touch with me regarding my feedback. If it gets sorted out, I will follow up.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2013 at 4:17:51 pm

[Matt Trubac] "As far as I know only its location."

Did you use FCPX to do the transfer or did you use the Finder?

Where did the media originate before the transfer?

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Jun 7, 2013 at 6:24:17 pm

It was all done using Finder.

Media originated on bare drives in a Thermaltake dual eSata dock connected to a Mac Pro. When I got the new iMac I started using USB 3.0 docks, but those constantly going to sleep after a moments rest, or ejecting if the system went to sleep was irritating, so I purchased the Promise R4.

I copied media, events, and project from the bare drives to the raid using the finder.

I don't know that anything about the media has changed. The event relinks with no apparent problem. This seems like a hiccup in the project to event relationship.. the project even steps through the relinking process, verifies the media, but can't see it in the event.

I do have PPRO, and know that there is a metadata preference in PPRO that selects whether data is written to the file or a sidecar file. The media has been used inside PPRO also. It's possible Adobe did something, but I don't think so. If it did, I don't think FCPX relink would validate the file.

Here is the process: http://vimeo.com/truvision/review/67903355/276fa581f5

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2013 at 6:49:09 pm

I probably don't have to watch that video and tell you it's the XMP data and it wreaks havoc on FCPX media (it used to throw FCP7 for a loop too by knocking render files loose).

QTEdit will remove XMP data from your files if it is present.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2013 at 7:01:53 pm

OK, I just watched the video. Thank you, that is supremely helpful.

What I did notice is that some of the file paths have /Volumes/Wedding Media/Wedding Media and some don't.

Also, this path for the first clip you are trying to find seems to differ from the path of your current media (picture):

Try this on one file only. When you go to relink a file in the Project, check the box to "Copy files in Final Cut Events Folder" and see what happens.

FYI, next time use FCPX's tools to move the media. It takes a little longer but it does ensure verification.

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Jun 7, 2013 at 8:47:32 pm

I think what you are seeing is before I try to relink the project it shows the file path as:

volume/wedding media/final cut events/event name/original media

And after relinking project files it changes to:

volume/wedding media/wedding media/client folder/original backup/hdslr cf/date-camera-card

where the actual media files are that I relink to

----------

I tried relinking just one file, and copying it to the event. It did replace the alias in the event's original media folder with the actual .mov file, but the clip in the project didn't come online.

That suggestion made me think I should try relinking the event from scratch, and copy media to the event. I relinked one file that I know is always missing. Selected to copy it to the event. That part worked. It is still not online in the project though. I tried to relink project files and selected the one file.. FCPX thought it should be in the "event>original media" so I relinked to there. The actual media file is there from the event relink. Still didn't work.

I appreciate all your help! I'll try the QTEdit thing to strip away any XMP. I'll see if Apple determines any definite cause or solution, and if not I'll start replacing clips. If it wasn't more pressing I'd have already started.. I'm more interested in finding the cause and solution at the moment.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2013 at 9:54:07 pm

[Matt Trubac] "I appreciate all your help! I'll try the QTEdit thing to strip away any XMP. I'll see if Apple determines any definite cause or solution, and if not I'll start replacing clips. If it wasn't more pressing I'd have already started.. I'm more interested in finding the cause and solution at the moment."

Next time, use FCPX to do the media managing as it will move all the appropriate bits and verify.

This seems to be some sort of database foul/bug.

I'd be curious if you moved the media back to it's original place if it would relink.

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Jun 8, 2013 at 1:53:23 am

I'm sure this is a bug. I made a few observations tonight.

It is only connected clips that are not online. All clips in my primary storyline are online!

There are clips in the project that come from the same media file. These clips are online in the primary storyline, but offline as connected clips. The offline graphic says "missing clip."

Before relinking the event the graphic for every clip in the project says "missing file."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2013 at 1:59:02 am

That, my friend, is tangible evidence.

Good work and make sure you report exactly that to Apple.

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:25:45 am

Mixed news. I still don't know exactly what caused this, but exporting and importing an xml brought all of my media back online! The downside is that the filters on the clips that were missing have all been reset (native and third party).

Filters are still set on the original project.. so I guess I might be doing a lot of copy and paste of my color and curve settings from the missing clips in my original project to the recovered project.

I'm working with Apple and am hopeful they can at least determine a cause and it gets fixed someday.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 11, 2013 at 3:38:47 am

Thank you for the update.

Really good to know that trick.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:44:48 am

A bit late here,

I discovered some time ago that changed paths are not saved in the SQL databases and FCPX tries to do it's own "repair". So this might work or not.
Using the XML route will use the "internal" repair but will loose most if not all of the filter settings.

Another thing I found by chance is to make everything offline using Finder, detach disks etc.
Then launch FCPX and every missing media will be listed and saved in the SQL files together with a reason why it is not found.
Quit FCP and make the media available again.
Next time you start FCPX it will analyze those database entries and will try to repair, but in this case it will update and save all media paths within the SQL files.

-Andreas

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]