FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCX Import Media Question... folders sorted in "FCX unfriendly" heirarchy workaround?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Underwood
FCX Import Media Question... folders sorted in "FCX unfriendly" heirarchy workaround?
on Jun 6, 2013 at 12:23:39 am

Hi, Clips of "40 Different Lakes by Name" are currently in this form:
(Folder:Lake-"A") with 3 folders at the same level within that folder
(SubFolder:Best)
(SubFolder:Good)
(SubFolder:Okay)

(Folder:LAKE-"B")
(SubFolder:Best)
(SubFolder:Good)
(SubFolder:Okay)

And so on. A lot time went into sorting and I'd like is to end up with
a way to see "best" clips from "Lake-"A" or "Lake-B", but when I hilite all the "Lake Name folders" it ingests so that ALL "best" clips are grouped together, all "good" together, etc. The thought of trying to go through 1000 clips and ID them as to which lake they are from is... depressing.

Any way to achieve this? Thanks!

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: iMac 27", (Mid 2011), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.4GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 24GB
AMD Radeon HD 697OM, FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03
GRAID 8TB Thunderbolt

Computer: MacBookPro (Mid 2009), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core2Duo, Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Software: FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCX Import Media Question... folders sorted in "FCX unfriendly" heirarchy workaround?
on Jun 6, 2013 at 12:45:26 am

It's so easy.

You might want to name the subfolders Lake A Best, Lake A Good, etc.

Import each best, good, okay subfolder making sure to have the "use folders as keyword collection" option turned on.

This will import the files as you have sorted them in separate keyword collections.

Once they are imported, select all the "best" collections, and make a new "Best" keyword collection.

Do the same for good and okay.

You will now have kw collections by lake and rating, and then just by rating.

This should be very easy.

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
Re: FCX Import Media Question... folders sorted in "FCX unfriendly" heirarchy workaround?
on Jun 6, 2013 at 12:51:23 am

Every subfolder is named Best/Good/Okay already so, to clarify, I click on ONE lake name, (there are 50 lakes) let it import... and sort out best/good/okay with keywords or...

Dig into the 1st lake folder, hilite 'best', import, keyword name it "LakeName/Best", then the 'good' folder, keyword name, (150 subfolders, 1 at a time). Sorry to need further clarification...

~ Steve Underwood

GRAID 8TB Thunderbolt

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2013 at 12:58:46 am

All good. I'd import the subfolders.

But I'd rename the subfolders with the name of the lake.

Then choose the option in the import window to use folders as keyword collections. That way all of your kw collections are already setup after import.

Last time I checked importing a folder with subfolders didn't make multiple kw collections, but it'd be worth testing for now with a few files and folders (I'm away from a machine at the moment).

Make sense?

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Jun 6, 2013 at 1:01:19 am

Makes good sense... I'll give both approaches a try in the next few days... Thanks!

~ Steve Underwood

GRAID 8TB Thunderbolt

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 6, 2013 at 1:48:24 am

[Stephen Underwood] "Makes good sense... I'll give both approaches a try in the next few days... Thanks!"

Also, this might make your life a lot easier...

http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/

Well worth it in cases where you have to rename hundreds/thousands of files. It's one of those apps you don't need, until you really do. In my case i had over 500 little FX audio files from the Classic OS days with no file extensions. When I moved them all into FCP X, I discovered that, unlike MC and fcp7 it (unsurprisingly really) didn't see the old creator codes, and thus had no idea what they were. ABFR saved me a lot of time just adding ".aiff" to all of them. Definitely 20 dollars worth. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:14:14 pm

I'd say that's a FCPX friendly folder structure. With the setting "import Folders as Keyword Collections" checked, every clip gets tagged automatically with the right keywords. Then just make simple Smart Collections that include the desired Keyword Collections. Set Filter to "Keyword Collection" and "Include All" and then, for example Lake A + Best and so on.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 6, 2013 at 10:15:56 pm

Just get "unstuck" thinking over much about "folders."

They're still useful in the finder - can make a short term difference during import - and are still a great general organizational tool when you're NOT editing.

But they're relatively unimportant inside FCP-X where keywords, tags, and the database allow you to do so very, very much more.

my 2 cents, anyway.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2013 at 10:38:14 pm

If you have a folder (Lets say it is named Lake Superior).

In that Folder, you have more subfolders, FCPX will create a keyword for the "lowest" level of subfolder, and that is true for every directory.

So if you had three subfolders:

Lake Superior > Best
Lake Superior > Good
Lake Superior > Okay

You open the import the "Lake Superior" folder, you'd get three kw collections, "Best, Good, Okay."

Now let's say you had:

Lake Erie > Best
Lake Erie > Good
Lake Erie > Okay

And then imported those subfolders, you'd have the same 3 kw collections, but Lake Superior and Lake Erie would BOTH be in the Best, Good, and Okay colelctions. As long as you can determine what lake is what from the file name, this would be easy to setup a Smart Collection for each Lake if you'd like.

You have many options, it's just a matter of what you want to do, and how it would best serve your future searching for the edit.

You could rename every single file like has been mentioned, with software. This would allow you to generate smart collections in FCPX with ease.

You could rename Best, Good, Okay directories with the name of the lake. This would bring in a kw collection called "Lake WhatItsName Good", "Lake WhatsItsName Best" for every lake you have. You could then further parse those files out with aggregated smart collections or kw collections later (Like having one big "Best" kw collection if you want).

You can even import the files and use FCPX's renaming system (which just names the clips in the Browser with metadata, not the clips on the hard drive) which has a bunch of automation built in to it. This would allow you generate more smart collections and keywords, like making a smart Collection called "Lake Superior" which would aggregate every file that is named Lake Superior now, and any new files you might receive or create.

Again, you have many options available to you, and since you've done a fair amount of work in the Finder already, I'd think you'd want to use that work to your advantage.

:-D

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]