FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX titles slow to render

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rumppe
FCPX titles slow to render
on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:21:39 am

I'm pretty new to FCPX. video rendering is quick. Color changes, disolves, ect. But when I put 2 or three layers of text and compound clips over the main timeline, rendering slows to a crawl. It takes at least 4 times as long to render titles over video effects....Any Ideas on how to add a little caffine to the render?

Thanks
Rich

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: FCPX titles slow to render
on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:24:59 pm

Render speed is entirely dependent on GPU specs. What sort of graphics card are you using?

Return to posts index

Rich Rumppe
on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:28:01 pm

Rad eon hd 2600 xt 256

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:45:08 pm

Yep that's the issue, the 2600XT is not Open CL compatible nor even officially supported in X: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4664

To achieve (much) faster renders, I'd recommend you upgrade to an Open CL compatible card with at least 1GB of RAM, preferably 2GB for best performance with FCP X.

Return to posts index

Rich Rumppe
on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:50:33 pm

When I bought this card people told me that I needed an "open" card. I was told that this is an open card and that fcpx would not run on anything but an open card. Fcpx runs fine with the exception of slow rendering of titles.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Jun 5, 2013 at 6:43:55 pm

Not sure what that means but your card has only 256MB of GPU RAM- which is why FCPX renders so slowly with it. IF you exchanged that for a card with 1GB or 2GB of GPU RAM you would see a major improvement.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pelini
on Jun 5, 2013 at 8:44:44 pm

Plain titles render fine for me, but as soon as you throw outline, glow or drop shadow on them and add some position or scale keyframes on them forget about it. I get spinning beach balls and export failures. I have been creating all text in photoshop.

Return to posts index

Rich Rumppe
on Jun 5, 2013 at 8:47:33 pm

Thanks. I don't have that big of an issue. Mine is just slow. I guess it's something I'm going to have to live with.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 5, 2013 at 8:58:46 pm

This is just an observation FWIW... but if you're running FCP X on a Mac Pro, (mine had lots of Ram and a 4870 GPU), it doesn't always perform well. Weird slowdowns, BBOD's etc. I got a new iMac recently and X is like a different app in many ways. Performance blows away the mac pro. Honestly, X seems faster on my new MB Air than on the Mac pro. I also have a 2009 iMac on which cutting in X is painful. :-(

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Jun 5, 2013 at 9:46:22 pm

Well again not to beat a dead horse but the new iMacs have very fast GPUs with lots of RAM. If you put a 2GB GPU into a few year's old Mac Pro, you'll also see great performance in X. FCP 7 and earlier did everything on the CPU so the Graphics Card was not a major factor.

X does all of its real time previewing, rendering and exporting via the GPU so that's really the key to good performance. Followed by system RAM and then CPU specs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]