FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X Corrupt Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geno Schmelzer
FCP X Corrupt Project
on Jun 4, 2013 at 6:10:28 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post on creative cow. I've searched around and haven't seen the answer to my problem so I thought I'd ask it here.

About 2 weeks ago I turned on my computer and G Raid hard drive and then opened FCP X. When I did a screen came up telling me that some files were corrupted. At the time I didn't know what that meant and simply pressed ok and FCP X opened just fine.

What I came to realize was that about 5 or so events and projects were missing from FCP X. These projects don't seem to have any connection to each other, some were a few months old and had been completed and 2 were rather large projects which were still in process. Eventually I found out that these files had been moved into folders on my G Raid titled "Final Cut Corrupted Projects" and "Final Cut Corrupted Events" respectively.

Since then I have tried quite a few things to get these files working again. For one I updated FCP X from I think version 10.06 to 10.08. The update itself seemed to cause some more hassle but eventually I was able to get all my events back into FCP X and they have worked just fine so far. I've also trashed preferences, moved the corrupted files back in the main Final Cut Pro Projects folder, deleted render files, changed the back up name to current version, tried to repair the project with digital rebellion's corrupt project repair, and still I haven't solved my problem.

My main question now, is how and or can I open up the back up version of the projects. Every time I try to do so, FCP X opens up along with a screen which says "The document “20130515-121450-PDT.fcpproject” could not be opened. Open documents from within Final Cut Pro."

I have a lot of work into these projects and would love to get it fixed. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks, Geno

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: FCP X Corrupt Project
on Jun 6, 2013 at 7:59:05 pm

1. Quit FCPX.

2. Make a copy of the Backup project file- (it should be called something like 20130306-145004-CDT.fcpproject.)

3. Move the CurrentVersion.fcpproject for the corrupt project out of the Project folder (if one exists there.).

4. Move the Backup copy into the Project folder.

5. Rename the backup copy CurrentVersion.fcpproject.

6. Relaunch FCPX.

7. The backup copy you renamed to CurrentVersion.fcpproject should now load.

Return to posts index

Geno Schmelzer
on Jun 7, 2013 at 9:21:33 pm

Hi James, thank you very much for answering back to my question. I had actually tried what you suggested but tried it again just in case and still FCP X won't open up the back up project. Instead a screen just pops up that says "The document “CurrentVersion.fcpproject” could not be opened. Open from within Final Cut Pro."

Not sure if you or anyone else has any suggestions or could tell me if fixing it is just useless but it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Geno

Return to posts index

Michael Lebor
on Aug 22, 2013 at 7:04:18 am

Sorry but I am in the same situation as you, corrupted project files and no backup (tried re naming but it but backup file apparently corrupt too)

What the hell have those guys at FCPX created? A system where you have one backup file that was made 15 minutes before the one that might be corrupted at any point and with a high chance of being corrupted itself.

Why in the first place are so many projects becoming corrupted? Mine was due to a crash. In 10 years I never had a previous FCP have a corrupt project and even if I did I had hundreds of backups to choose from.

Thanks FCPX from all of us editors all over the world who have lost thousands of hours of work - We salute you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]