FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop Tip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Toth
Photoshop Tip
on Jun 3, 2013 at 1:15:04 pm

I didn't know this worked this way. Hope it helps some of you.

In Photoshop I would make a master layered file, often with layer styles and then make a flattened version for use in FCP X so that it would recognize the layer style, transparency etc. I found that this isn't necessary.

Create a document, lay out your text, add the layer styles and then (the key step) make the text layer a Smart Object. FCP X will see the document as a layered Photoshop document and will recognize all layer styles including drop shadow. If you want to change the text simply open the layered PSD document in Photoshop and right click on the text layer. Choose "edit contents".

As with any layered Photoshop document you can't add layers without saving under a different name and importing the new file. However, as long as the number of layers remains the same the document will update properly in FCP X.

PS - when you "edit contents" a new canvas will open as a .psb file. It will be cropped to the size of the existing text. If you want to add more text you can change the canvas size. I usually just change it to 1920 X 1080 for 1080 HD. Otherwise it won't let you save the edited layer.

anickt

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: Photoshop Tip
on Jun 3, 2013 at 1:41:25 pm

You also can make just a simple "Layered TIFF" without any rasterizing.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jun 3, 2013 at 2:16:29 pm

Hi Andreas

Layered TIFF doesn't work for me. Unless I am doing something wrong, when I import a layered TIFF into FCP X I cannot access the individual layers like I can with a layered PSD.

anickt

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 3, 2013 at 2:22:35 pm

Hi Nick,

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood.

Layered TIFFs show up like a normal TIFF in any NLE, but not as layers. So you can't animate the layers. But in many cases latter is not wanted and creates an overhead.
So it depends on what you want/need to do.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jun 3, 2013 at 2:39:40 pm

Correct - having access to the layers in FCP X can be very convenient under certain circumstances. The info you gave on the TIFF files is useful too. Thanks

anickt

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jun 3, 2013 at 6:53:53 pm

Here's a MacBreak Studio episode that speaks directly to what you are talking about at about 7:15:

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]