FORUMS: list search recent posts

missing files everytime i re-open fcpx

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ed sayers
missing files everytime i re-open fcpx
on Jun 1, 2013 at 9:05:05 am

hi

i had to move the files for a project and did so in FCPX (moving the project and referenced events).

originally i had had to pause the importing and transcoding unfortunately a couple of times.

now every time i re-launch fcpx i have to import afresh at least one missing file from each camera card that has a missing one.

it won't let me use relink files (although it did for the stills captured on the same cards and they are fine)

it won't let me use re-import either

everything is now on a g-raid t/bolt drive.

i could just not quit fcpx. the schedule is only a few days.

but does anyone have any tips for getting fcpx to permanently know where to find these files, so if it quits unexpectedly or i want to quite/re-start etc, i don't have to do the same each time.

thoughts welcome - thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: missing files everytime i re-open fcpx
on Jun 1, 2013 at 10:03:07 pm

Relinking in FCPX isn't the best and interrupting an import can be a step on the path to weirdness so my #1 general tip would be don't mess with it while you're importing or moving files. Bring up the task monitor, step away from the computer, grab a coffee and let it do its thing.

On to trying to fix things...

When you need to reimport, what is the status of the file? Is it missing, or just not recognised by FCPX any more? Is there some other app touching the clips? Is the hard drive actually working properly?

If relinking isn't working for you then once you have gotten all the clips back online manually, I would try duplicating the project and event to another drive (remembering the step away from the machine rule), then check it there. Having FCPX create a duplicate should resolve any database oddities that might be causing the issue.

That's about all I can think of without knowing more about how the import was done and what FCPX is saying about the missing files, etc.

Cheers
Jeff K

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

ed sayers
on Jun 3, 2013 at 3:12:47 pm

hi jeff

thanks for your reply.

good idea to try moving everything to another drive - i did this overnight last night

however unfortunately it moved the issue with it(!) - which i too thought it would not

HOWEVER...

today thru another issue which is common, i found a solution for the original problem (they are related)...

i couldn't export the project from fcp x (everything was greyed out)

i found a thread on macrumours...
forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1199680

basically i went to every clip in my project and clicked once on it, then: SHIFT+F to reveal in the event browser. if the clip shows with a small camera icon on the far left, it means it's not connected.

you then contrl click the clip name having noted or memorised its details (like card number and time of day) and MOVE TO TRASH
(note: you do not lose your logging settings like in/out, favourite, keywords etc)

THEN, go to FILE>IMPORT>MEDIA and locate the original camera file (found in the folder you originally backed up all the cards/media to, before importing to FCPX)

this will now be properly linked

lastly...

weirdly, when i'd done this with some 20 clips and tried to EXPORT, it was still GREYED... so i quite FCPX and re-launched, not very optimistically, and everything was cool

hope this helps someone else

ed

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Jun 5, 2013 at 6:34:30 pm

When you have a small camera on your eventclips that shows the footage only exists on the cam-card, which is typical after an interrupted import. You need to re-IMPORT not re-LINK!!

Return to posts index

ed sayers
on Jun 5, 2013 at 6:54:08 pm

actually. you need to IMPORT afresh. as re-import won't be offered.
and as mentioned on the link I posted, prior to that you need to delete the event file from the fcpx event by ctrl clicking it

in case anyone stumbles on this.

thanks for your input

job done now.

Return to posts index

Edgard Regard
on Jan 11, 2016 at 3:51:31 pm

It's January 2016 and this issue is still happening. I'm loosing many hours of work because FCPX does not want to recognise the files that are already inside the Original Media folder.
BRRRR!!!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2016 at 5:21:32 pm

Trash the files in the Original Media folder and transcoded folders.

Then reimport.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]