FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpegstreamclip on laptop ripping DVDs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
mpegstreamclip on laptop ripping DVDs
on May 29, 2013 at 4:29:08 pm

So, I've put X on the laptop to work in the field. Now for a project I've been given a DVD from a local news channel with some footage I'm supposed to use in our project. Great. ProRes or h264 would've been easier, but no problem, I'll just download mpegstreamclip and rip it. But it seems I need the mpeg-2 component to do that. I guess in the old days that got installed with FCP legacy. But I'm trying to keep all that bloat off the laptop. Maybe it got installed with QT 7 Pro? I can of course rip it at the home office, but was wondering what's the minimum to install to get the mpeg-2 component on the laptop. Any chance it will install with compressor? I've only put X on here. Not motion or compressor.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: mpegstreamclip on laptop ripping DVDs
on May 29, 2013 at 5:37:21 pm

I just went ahead and ripped it on the home system. But would still like to know what I need to do the same on the laptop. Probably QT Pro.

But another weird issue. The footage was widescreen on the DVD. (Still would've been nice to get a HD ProRes.) But converted it to prores SD just fine. FCP X of course saw didn't see it as anamorphic, so I had to use the override in the inspector to override to widescreen. No problem. Perfect. But oddly enough, now in the event and the event viewer, it shows as letterboxed until you drop it in the timeline. Maybe that's just X's way of telling you that that it still thinks it's 4:3, but it's overriding to 16:9? Strange.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 29, 2013 at 7:26:50 pm

Hey Bret, you need to buy it. FCP Legacy doesn't have it. There should be a link on Apple's website. 30 bucks.

I have it on my G5 since I still use it for ripping, once in a while.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 29, 2013 at 7:31:41 pm

I've never bought it. But it works on my systems that have legacy installed. Even my brand new iMac that all I've done is install FCP X and FCP 7. Something gets installed with legacy. Could be DVDSP. Or... I do have Toast on there. Perhaps that's the ticket.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 29, 2013 at 10:47:37 pm

Interesting... I had to buy it for my G5, with Legacy installed and pro apps plugin + Roxio Popcorn...I don't have Toast.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on May 29, 2013 at 11:14:05 pm

If you are in a pinch and don't have the MPEG2 component, you can use Handbrake (free) to RIP to h264. Turn up the data rate quite a bit and then make sure it is not cropping. It has a decent deinterlacer so you can use that too.

BTW. I a bit puzzled about the MP2 QuickTime component because I switched from a MacPro to an iMac a couple of months ago and never installed the MP2 component, and yet MPEG Streamclip can still rip a DVD.

Go figure.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 30, 2013 at 2:17:34 pm

I just found this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3932123?start=0&tstart=0

Quicktime X has that component integrated, but it does not like VOB files it seems.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on May 30, 2013 at 7:40:42 pm

So ripping to QuickTime should still work if you use MPEG Streamclip to remux the VOB files to .mpg files first?

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 30, 2013 at 8:31:17 pm

I doubt it, my mpg streamclip keeps on giving me the missing component window.

On apple's page it says that the component is included in QT X and can not be installed seperately on Lion.

I use my G5 +Mpeg Streamclip for ripping, never had issues with VOB files. It seems that QT X component is missing something...

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on May 30, 2013 at 11:10:30 pm

Hrm. I bought a program called DVDRemaster that rips from DVDs. However, the latest versions only allow ripping to H.264 files rather than to any QuickTime format desirable. For that, Handbrake is free as noted above.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:52:45 pm

A quick update.

I was able to RIP a DVD on my fresh iMac without having to manually install QuickTime MPEG2 component using MPEGStreamclip.

It must be buried in there somewhere now.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]