FORUMS: list search recent posts

label used clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrizio D'Agnano
label used clips
on May 29, 2013 at 8:51:11 am

Hello.
I usually build two or three episodes from a single event. I create a project for each episode, but I need to search and pick up clips from the same event (I can't divide them in separate events before I edit). I know there's no automatic label for used clips, but what could be a quick workaround to have the clips labeled like "used in doc 1" or the such other than manually do it one by one? If I add a note in the timeline index it does not show in the event browser, I can't seem to select, show in the browser and label multiple clips from the timeline using one of the columns like "camera angle" like I used to do with the "find" in FCP7.
Thank you in advance.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: label used clips
on May 29, 2013 at 11:05:46 am

I played with this a bit, and I found that there are some fields that carry from the project, up to the event. Camera angle is not one of them. But I believe camera type is. That's where I put the metadata for "used clips"

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 29, 2013 at 3:30:39 pm

Or, you could add a video role or subrole, (used-1) or something, highlight them in the index, and grab what you need...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 29, 2013 at 4:24:47 pm

Premiere Pro has this one going for it. Very much like AE it knows if a clip has been used in the project and which sequence. I figure this is harder for X to do, since the sequences and events are separate, and while the clip may have been used in a project, that project may have been deleted or is simply offline. It really has no way of knowing. So there would need to be some sort of setting to establish a direct event and project relationship for the feature. Mark clips used if used in project (insert pulldown menu here of available projects). Would certainly be something doable, but like everything, Apple seems to want to wait to figure out the best way. OR, like key framing, they'll just leave it in the same state as FCP 1.x and not mess with it, and leave us to find workarounds like finding used and labeling them in some way.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on May 29, 2013 at 11:04:48 pm

[Bret Williams] ....."while the clip may have been used in a project, that project may have been deleted or is simply offline. It really has no way of knowing."
Well, what I know about programming software is less than nothing, but I think FCPX could know if a clip is or has been used in a project or not. Simply, it could fill a field whenever a clip is dragged onto an active project, with the name of the project itself, and empty it whenever the clip is removed from an active project. It would not matter if a project is later on deleted or hidden or put offline, the tag would be retained, and there's no way to modify a project outside of FCPX. I think it would be helpful. For example, if you shoot nature documentaries, you could gather a lot of footage of a particular fish on a trip, and just use a few clips for one doc. A few months later you could need footage of that fish on a different project for a different client, after you sold exclusive rights for the previous doc. That's when knowing if one of the clips has already been sold could be useful. I guess event videographers or feature film editors don't have that need though.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 30, 2013 at 5:16:32 am

Say I use a clip in my project. Then I duplicate that project. The clip remains in versions 1-5. Then in V6 I change the name of the project and make changes which result in not using that clip any longer. I delete the projects or take them offline. But the clip still says it's been used. And it lists 5 projects that don't exist. Seems like a mess to me.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on May 30, 2013 at 7:43:06 am

Yes Bret, I agree. But wouldn't it be the same mess if one used Roles or "camera angle"? Say one is working on project y-1 and label as used via Roles or fields the clips that lay in the timeline in the Event browser and then go to the same routine of duplicating to y-2, then y-3 or y-4 version and later deleting one or more of the projects. Wouldn't the clips retain the labels in the Browser unless one manually unmark them? Maybe it could be accomplished in automatic whenever a project is deleted from within FCPX in an imaginary automatic marking process. However, in my kind of workflow scenario I'd rather have the clips marked for use in previous versions or non existing projects where I could figure if that project is still used (I don't work on a very large number of projects), that not having them marked at all or having to do it manually. I understand it could be different for people working on a very large number of projects or in a shared multiuser environment.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on May 29, 2013 at 5:53:53 pm

Thank you Jason.
It seems "camera name" is the only field that will carry from the project to the event browser. It's a pity because I use that field for multiple camera shots, but I think the "used in project Y" is more useful. It will stay in the event so if I want to pick up a clip for another project, I'll know what media is usable and what not. Using roles is also a good idea, but maybe the "camera name" is better as I use roles for export, and the camera name also appears in the "reel" field.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 21, 2013 at 7:35:31 pm

Getting super irritated today. This was working, but for some reason today...there are only 12 clips showing up under the smart collection "not used" which aggregates all clips WITHOUT the word "used" in camera name.

There are at least another 20 clips that this scenario applies to and for some reason FCPX won't pick this up. Anyone have inconsistencies with this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]