FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM and FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lambert
XDCAM and FCPX
on May 27, 2013 at 8:15:35 pm

Hi everyone

Has anyone else ran into a massive performance issue when using FCPX to work natively with XDCAM (EX3 files) using the recent update to import them straight into the program as camera files.

I am currently cutting a 2min promo with maybe 1-1:30 of slow motion optical flow clips, FCPX has been analysing for about 2+hr's now!! I have never had this using the old copy via content browser / rewrap into a .mov format!

I can only think that FCPX is analysing the entire original clip (about 3hrs) rather than the 5second segments on the timeline!

Has anyone else ran into this along with the renaming of clips into time and date it seems like a total joke, would be far more benefical to rewrap all these files into .mov any day of the week than use this buggy piece of crap

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: XDCAM and FCPX
on May 27, 2013 at 9:44:18 pm

I didn't know you could use an EX3 clip without rewrapping it so I've learnt something new - although it sounds like I might never actually want to do that. As to the analysis, I've not thought about it but for most things FCPX has a tendency to analyse the entire underlying clip in the event rather than just the part you're using on the timeline so, yes it is quite possible that its analysing the entire three hours if that's how long the clip actually is.

You may be able to work around it by making the section you want to slow down a compound clip and seeing how that goes.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Chris Lambert
Re: XDCAM and FCPX
on May 27, 2013 at 9:48:36 pm

Hi Jeff

Yes it was kind of a stealthy update about 1-2months ago that I don't think many people have discovered because of our tried and tested workflows.

My advice in short would be stick with what works. I've cut similiar shows with similiar file size clips in the .mov format and never run into this in nearly 2yr's I'll stick with what I know unfortunatly I left applying the effect til the last point in my process otherwise I could have jumped ship sooner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]