FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing Timeline clip with clip already on timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam chesbrough
Replacing Timeline clip with clip already on timeline
on May 23, 2013 at 3:41:49 pm

See image below, move red to green but without having to rearrange everything again:

It seems like my basic question is that I want to be able to disconnect or disassociate storylines from clips in the primary timeline so that when I move a primary timeline clip it automatically creates a "gap".

Secondary, once that gap is created I plan on replacing it with additional narrative, BUT there doesn't seem like a way to do a "replace" with clips that are already on the timeline. What I have to do is move the clip I want, move storylines so they are connected to the new primary clip and then delete the gap (making sure that nothing is connected to it or else those will be deleted)

While I have your attention, for the love of god, is there any keyboard shortcut that allows me to choose which clip I want selected (not talking about "c" as your mouse needs to be hovering over the specific clip ie use the mouse). I need the keyboard shortcut ability like FCP7 had which allowed me to select a specific layer.

There are just somethings about this program that makes me wonder who their major editing consultants were.

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Replacing Timeline clip with clip already on timeline
on May 23, 2013 at 5:00:29 pm

Red to green?

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on May 23, 2013 at 5:08:47 pm

wow, wrong attachment. Sorry about that.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 23, 2013 at 5:19:19 pm

You have connections turned off so it's hard to tell, but if you want to move the primary clips and leave the clips connected to it where they are, hold the tilde key, ~, and move the clip in the primary.

If you want to leave a gap there, choose the position tool, p, then hold tilde key and make your move.

[adam chesbrough] "Secondary, once that gap is created I plan on replacing it with additional narrative, BUT there doesn't seem like a way to do a "replace" with clips that are already on the timeline."

There's a couple of ways to do it, "Replace" (Shift-r), "Replace from start" (option-r) and "Replace from end"(You have to assign a shortcut for that). Unfortunately, there's no playhead replace as there is in FCP7/other NLEs, but the replace options do work.

[adam chesbrough] "While I have your attention, for the love of god, is there any keyboard shortcut that allows me to choose which clip I want selected (not talking about "c" as your mouse needs to be hovering over the specific clip ie use the mouse). I need the keyboard shortcut ability like FCP7 had which allowed me to select a specific layer."

Unfortunately, no, but please send feedback about it as we could all use this function.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on May 23, 2013 at 5:44:43 pm

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Jeremy. Sending feedback right now to apple

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on May 23, 2013 at 7:55:53 pm

Hi Jeremy, So the problem I guess remains and I now have another related issue:

1. shift+r, opt+r seems to replace the selected clip with the one in your event browser, not with a clip already on the timeline. I thought that if I were to

2. How do I make a specific clip stay put, no matter what?? The only way I can think of is to have it on the primary timeline and then force myself to only slide edit points (which isn't possible)

I have two clip set as a storyline with edit points on the beat. There is no way to move anything on the primary storyline without that "connected" storyline moving as well.

I guess the solution would be to have the music in the primary storyline, but then how do I "connect" clips to eachother...compound clips don't work for me because You are unable to uncompound them and I have to constantly make cuts associated with the music (and if the compound clip isn't created with the music there is no reference during editing.

In a related aggrevation, why can we no longer expand compound clips within the original timeline. What does everyone else do when they need to make small changes based on anything (audio, video, graphics etc) that is not included in the original compound.

Return to posts index

Kyle Bass
on May 23, 2013 at 8:08:59 pm

To use replace edits, you still have to reveal the clip in the event browser first (Shift-F). Then you can use the Shift-R and Option-R shortcuts.

To make clips on the primary storyline stay put, you use the position tool. Almost any edits you make on the primary storyline using the default pointer will cause ripples. When you don't want that to happen, use the position tool.

If it's a connected clip you don't want to move, use the tilde key. You can even lock this key in 10.0.8 by holding Tilde, then Shift, then release Tilde, then release Shift. This locks the override connections command until you hit Tilde again.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 23, 2013 at 11:39:27 pm

[adam chesbrough] "1. shift+r, opt+r seems to replace the selected clip with the one in your event browser, not with a clip already on the timeline. I thought that if I were to "

That's correct. Those commands replace from the Event. If you need to replace a clip on the timeline with another clip on the timeline, you could do as was mentioned, match frame back to the event, then replace on the timeline.

[adam chesbrough] "2. How do I make a specific clip stay put, no matter what?? The only way I can think of is to have it on the primary timeline and then force myself to only slide edit points (which isn't possible) "

It depends on where that clip is. It will be a combination of the tilde and position tool. Select what you want to move, hit p, holde tilde, then drag the selected clips where you need them.

If it's a connected clip, then you don't need tilde.

[adam chesbrough] "I have two clip set as a storyline with edit points on the beat. There is no way to move anything on the primary storyline without that "connected" storyline moving as well."

If I follow what you are saying correctly, you can connect the music at the beat, that means that no matter where you move those clips, that beat and that cut will stay together. You will have to adjust the rest of the timeline (just like any other NLE). Move connection points with option-command-click.

[adam chesbrough] "I guess the solution would be to have the music in the primary storyline, but then how do I "connect" clips to eachother...compound clips don't work for me because You are unable to uncompound them and I have to constantly make cuts associated with the music (and if the compound clip isn't created with the music there is no reference during editing."

You can connect adjacent clips by selecting them and hitting command-g to put them in a secondary storyline.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]