FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't activate the keyframe interpolation option ease in - ease out

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther Casas
Can't activate the keyframe interpolation option ease in - ease out
on May 22, 2013 at 9:17:25 pm

Hello everyone,

Once again I am getting frustrated with FCX...for simple stuff like this: I found online that you simply right click in between keyframes to ease in or out...well, is not happening!? can't find the way to do it, can somebody tell me if there is another way to open the window to ease in/out my keyframes?

What I am doing is animating a simple size, I want to smooth it out...and it's nightmare with X..I am working with 10.0.7

thank you!!!

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: Can't activate the keyframe interpolation option ease in - ease out
on May 23, 2013 at 2:50:09 am

Try right clicking on one of the keyframes itself. You really should update X to 10.0.8 as well.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 23, 2013 at 11:38:10 am

Click on the transform button in the viewer, then you should see keyframes and the animation path. ctrl click the keyframes.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 23, 2013 at 6:33:52 pm

That's actually spatial. IOW a rounded path. Ease in and out is temporal. The speed in which it travels from and/or into a keyframe. FCP 7 and FCP X are bewilderingly useless on all keyframing fronts. It's a crapshoot. Sometimes when you choose linear it also seems to affect ease in/out, which it should not. Sometimes it doesn't. In 7, some spatial controls were accessed via the canvas right click, and others (temporal) were accessed with a right click in the motion tab. But they were inconsistently available. It's still a mess in X, just a different mess. But the mess in 7 is that it seems to default to ease in/out, while leaving linear on.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 23, 2013 at 11:57:10 pm

Hehe:-) I just realized I haven't used the temporal interpolation since 10.1, I was not thinking about that.

Bret, I agree there is some weird bugs with the keyframing and the interface needs improving. Personally I feel it works very well for the style I'm currently animating, only using spatial interpolation, lately I've been having fun combining keyframes with compound clips and transitions. If I do need some more complex animations or I have more time I prefer using Motion anyway.

Perhaps I like FCPX keyframing since I'm comparing it to my experiences I've had with Avid or FCP7, animating in both always felt very tedious to me.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 24, 2013 at 4:34:50 am

I just came home and looked for the temporal keyframing and just realized that its not possible for the Transform parameters. Now I remember why I never used it, because it was never there, and I simply forgot about it. For opacity and other effects it works. As far as I can tell its only possible to use spatial interpolation with the Transform parameters. Reading through Larry Jordan's blog again I realize that the explanation only deals with opacity.

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on May 24, 2013 at 11:41:17 am

Hi Nikolas, this explains everything! so i am basically screwed with FCP X...nice! it makes this experience even better...I hate X, I am staying with the beautiful 7 until they fix all of these non-sense.

thanks to all for all your help on this matter!
Esther.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 24, 2013 at 3:36:39 pm

Well 7 doesn't really have ease in and out in most cases. So moves and keyframing tends to be very linear and harsh and pretty elementary looking. So damned if you do...

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 23, 2013 at 11:59:14 pm

This could help:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-keyframes/

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 24, 2013 at 3:58:07 pm

Yeah, it appears that X just took the keyframe engine from legacy and moved things around. One of my top peeves with legacy and they didn't address it in the slightest. All the things he points out in this article actually work very much the same in legacy. Smooth controls (ease) are in motion tab. Spatial (bezier) controls are in canvas. And just like in X, you can't ease certain parameters. Just the ones you don't want to like opacity. Who eases opacity?

The only change I can see if that in legacy, the default is no easing, while in X, easing exists by default. In either app you can't change it. In X this causes a problem with basic scale and position moves, because the default easing makes a basic scale and position move appear to take an arced path. Whereas in legacy at least the default linear achieved a straight path, but a harsh stop and start. Dissolving in and out covers that though.

My workaround is to use the crop tool for scale and position moves. It's completely linear with no easing. Results are same as scale and position with legacy.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 25, 2013 at 3:36:19 am

If I need perfect linear movement I use the Ken Burns crop as well. It never felt like a workaround to me since it does what it's supposed to do, but now that you mentioned it I do wonder again why this isn't possible with Xs Keyframes.

I always thought the funky scale position was something normal, I do remember having had this problem in Legacy but perhaps it was some other issue that caused a similar problem.

After I started using 10.0.1, I landed a gig cutting internal videos for Coca Cola Germany and I used the spatial curves to ad some "handheld" movement, especially to the interviews.They wanted a trashy, MTV-style edit but the production team had shot static interviews. I felt I needed more than just a camera shake. They loved what I did with it, and thats when I started liking X keyframing for this particular style.

At Promiflash I use the spatial curves to give fashion and star pics a more organic movement, as if pics are being thrown into the image or drop down, or images bouncing off of each other. The other two editors just learned X...Interesting enough the Avid editor has less problems with certain X bugs than the the FCP7 guy, who seems to be struggling based on his animations. The Avid editor doesn't like linear, so once I showed her where the spatial curves were she was very happy, but I guess an Avid editor has no reason to be pissed at Apple:-)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 25, 2013 at 6:23:02 pm

Got anything you can share? I'd love to steal some of those ideas. :)

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 26, 2013 at 9:20:18 am

Check out the last ones I edited on http://www.promiflash.tv, the one on the Top "Aus bei BTN" and two at the bottom of the list, Beauty-Druck and Noch Liebeskummer?

And here is a justin bieber animation (the 3rd piece):

I can't show the CocaCola clips, since they're internal employee videos.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on May 26, 2013 at 9:57:20 am

Keyframe interpolation is definitely a weakness in FCPX. You can change the path to a linear path, but if you want to change the inerpolation of the speed coming in and out of keyframes, there's no inherent way to do that but there's a workaround. I've posted this before, but sometimes it hard to find the post you're looking for in the forum.

So by default the speed interpolation is to ease in and out, but if you use the workaround, you can change it to linear.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on May 27, 2013 at 4:13:34 pm

thanks everybody for the replies..

So,in conclusion; interpolation is definitely not easy with FCPX...but will try and go around it. Somebody just suggested me to try the Twixtor for FCPX, I didn't know there was one specific for FCP, might help, will try that too,for now!
did someone tried?

thanks to all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]