FORUMS: list search recent posts

Have only offline media created outside FCPX. Relink later how?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiri Fiala
Have only offline media created outside FCPX. Relink later how?
on May 22, 2013 at 4:38:30 pm

Hi!

I'm embarking on this multi-cam narrative project and I'd very much like to do it in FCPX.

I've been given these 352x288 MPEG4 Quicktime proxy clips via FTP, created probably with XDCam Transfer (C0001, C0002...). These MOVs are the only material I have access to.

I know I can't simply relink to high-quality media when I get them, but I need to start editing with these LQ proxies.

Any workflow tips? Thanks!

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Have only offline media created outside FCPX. Relink later how?
on May 22, 2013 at 5:50:55 pm

You can do this- as long as the final media matches the proxy in timecode, duration, audio channel configuration, frame rate and similar file name.
  • Basically all you'd do is first create a project at the delivery resolution- say 1080/24p.
  • Then add the proxy media into an Event. Keep everything well organized in the Finder before ingesting so you can refer back when it comes time to relink.
  • Keep all your proxies set to Spatial Conform-Fit in the Inspector. Don't do a lot of keyframing/cropping/etc because you may end up having to redo a lot of that stuff depending on the different resolution of the high quality clips. Focus on the pure picture edit.
  • When you receive the high quality media- place it into a similar folder hierarchy as the proxy- again to make the manual relink simpler.
  • Then select the Event with the proxy media and File>Relink Event Files.
  • Select the Relink Option for All. Then point to the high quality media. If the names are the same it should match all automatically.

I'd recommend doing an experiment with at least one example of proxy and high quality media to confirm that it works with your media.

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on May 22, 2013 at 5:58:39 pm

Hm, it does seem to work. I had some instances in the past when this didn't work, so I wrongly figured this wouldn't be a supported workflow. Maybe it was some mismatch in audio channels.

Cool, thanks!

Return to posts index

James Cude
on May 22, 2013 at 6:28:07 pm

Right on- glad that worked for you.

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on May 23, 2013 at 12:04:33 am

worst case scenario, if you have problems, you should be able to add mismatched media to the multicam clip after the fact. you can then sync the newly added clips. Then within the already created timeline simply switch the angle from the offline to the online.

of course you wont want to do for the whole edit, but if its just a few clips that mismatch, its a fix.

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on May 23, 2013 at 9:32:23 am

Yep, I'm sure it will come to that at some point :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]