FORUMS: list search recent posts

Precision editing (sub-frame editing)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam chesbrough
Precision editing (sub-frame editing)
on May 21, 2013 at 11:11:06 pm

I could be wrong but I feel as though my edits were just much sharper with FCP7 then with FCPX. Sometimes I can simply not cut to the beat because I am unable to move the edit point exactly where I want to. I don't remember this ever being a problem.

Please see the attached screenshots. I want the edit point to be on the marker...FCPX says NOPE! Any thoughts? Are there editing systems out there that allow for sub 1 frame cuts (I have turned off snap and magnetic by the way to see if that solved it...it did not)

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Precision editing (sub-frame editing)
on May 21, 2013 at 11:18:29 pm

[adam chesbrough] "Are there editing systems out there that allow for sub 1 frame cuts"

Nope, at least not for video. For audio, yes. In fact, X is way more flexible than 7 and other NLE's when cutting audio only. Video, on the other hand, must be cut on a frame boundary. X will allow you to put an audio marker at a subframe location, FCP 7 will not. That's probably what you're noticing...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 22, 2013 at 12:46:44 am

You can move the marker to the cut by nudging the audio in subframes.

Fcpx follows video frame rates (it has to) but audio can be adjusted down to 1/80th of a frame.

Return to posts index

Ryan Patch
on May 22, 2013 at 5:05:04 am

There is no possible way to edit in an increment smaller than a frame. A video will run at a fixed FPS (23,98, 24, 19.97, etc) and to try to make a half-frame duration would throw everything out of whack. There isn't and has never been a video editing system that will allow you to edit "sub-frames".

This was the case in FCP7. You could only edit as detailed as a frame. There may be other reasons that FCX might be preventing you from editing the best you can, but this is not one of them.

You CAN, using Premiere, FCX, and Avid, edit AUDIO at the sub-frame level. I know in Premiere you can make edits up to the precision of the sample rate (usually 1/48,000th sec).

I would say that, in my opinion, even if an audio hit is 1/2 frame "off" (the most it ever would be) you don't notice the .05 second difference. If it's really that important to you, you can slip the audio in subframes.

R

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on May 23, 2013 at 12:08:49 am

another good way to align the visual frames to audio subframes is by retiming slightly.

use the range selector. select a range that encompasses the audio marker and visual marker. shift-n. you will now be able to adjust the timing of that range and fcpx will automatically ramp up/down.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on May 23, 2013 at 3:55:11 am

good thinking, will give that a go. Thanks

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]