FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX sluggish on Mac Pro (with Radeon card, no BG processing)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Crowell
FCPX sluggish on Mac Pro (with Radeon card, no BG processing)
on May 21, 2013 at 3:22:31 pm

(Apologies--posted in the wrong forum before)
I've got a brand new mac pro (specs below).

Video (even camera native stuff) plays back without a stutter, but the UX itself is sluggish. Any window/frame resizing takes a second to snap to the cursor, clicking between clips and events takes a second, adding keywords is really slow (and the animation is not smooth), and clicking throughout the timeline drags. This is all with only a single event and project in the software.

I have an ATI card with seemingly adequate ram. I've looked all over the internet, and I know the pros aren't "optimized" like the iMacs are for FCPX, but...this seems unusual. Running FPX 10.0.8

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Max Pro
2 x 2.4 GhZ 6-core Intel Xeon
24 GB DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB
OS X 10.8.3

Video editor, animator, composer, producer
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
Re: FCPX sluggish on Mac Pro (with Radeon card, no BG processing)
on May 22, 2013 at 2:55:54 am

I have an older Mac Pro with the same video card, and I am not having serious issues like that until I have been editing for a long time. Are you running any other applications at the same time as FCPX, And what type of footage are you editing format wise?

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on May 22, 2013 at 2:44:10 pm

It happens with nothing open in the Projects pane, no other applications open, and the footage in the even I'm currently looking at all transcoded to Prores 422.

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

joe mordecai
on May 23, 2013 at 5:38:25 pm

I'm curious about this, too. When I've been cutting for a while the GUI gets really sluggy thanks to all that core animation. Whether I'm cutting H.264 or ProRes doesn't seem to matter. It's not horrific, but it's far from fluid. Anyone have suggestions, say, for appropriate graphics card, etc? I've already provided feedback to Apple that FCPX needs what Motion 5 has - a memory allocation setting... I have a feeling Final Cut just wants to eat up every ounce of resource the Mac has, resulting in slow interface.

My setup:

Mid-2010 Mac Pro 8-core (2 x 2.4 Quad)
ATI Radeon 5870 1024MB
28GB RAM
OSX 10.6.8
FCPX 10.0.8

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on May 24, 2013 at 4:17:50 am

And background rendering is turned off via the preferences as you stated before...hmm...

What does your Activity Monitor look like? How much CPU power and RAM are FCPX using on average?

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:42:13 pm

My apologies on the slow response...been waiting until another project is ready to go into X. My usage in activity monitor is very low. When I'm having the problem (which is always), ram is at 1.5GB and CPU is <3%. VERY frustrating. It appears to be much much worse I have a fair amount of footage in an event.

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]