FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX and Motion templates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Czerwinski
FCPX and Motion templates
on May 21, 2013 at 2:53:23 pm

I'm looking into switching from FCP7 to FCPX using Motion templates that I created. I copied over the Motion 4 templates into the movie folder so FCPX can see the templates. I opened FCPX and templates they show up in the generators tab. I am able to place a template into the project (timeline) without any issues. Strangely, I did not even have to open Motion 5 and re-save the file.

The problem I am having is replacing a template that is already in a timeline (project). When I try to replace the template in the timeline the new template changes font sizes, scaling and position. When I scrub the thumbnail in generator it looks fine until I try to replace it. Tried replace from start and just replace file. I tried saving the Motion 4 file as a Motion 5. Also I tried publishing from Motion 5 creating a new template.

I'm working on an older Mac and I'm still on Snow Leopard. 2x3G Quad-Core. V10.6.8. Not sure if this could be part of the problem.

Thanks for you time,

John

Return to posts index

Kyle Bass
Re: FCPX and Motion templates
on May 21, 2013 at 5:58:03 pm

Instead of trying to replace it, have you tried inserting the new generator and then pasting the attributes from the older generator? That should take care of the scaling and position at least. You should be able to copy and paste the text manually. Once you have it set up the same, you can delete the older generator from the timeline.

Return to posts index

John Czerwinski
on May 21, 2013 at 6:29:46 pm

I'll give it a try. Thanks Kyle

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on May 25, 2013 at 11:17:33 am

I'm looking into switching from FCP7 to FCPX using Motion templates that I created. I copied over the Motion 4 templates into the movie folder so FCPX can see the templates. I opened FCPX and templates they show up in the generators tab. I am able to place a template into the project (timeline) without any issues. Strangely, I did not even have to open Motion 5 and re-save the file.

The problem I am having is replacing a template that is already in a timeline (project). When I try to replace the template in the timeline the new template changes font sizes, scaling and position. When I scrub the thumbnail in generator it looks fine until I try to replace it. Tried replace from start and just replace file. I tried saving the Motion 4 file as a Motion 5. Also I tried publishing from Motion 5 creating a new template.

That's the way Motion Templates work -- call it a feature or bug. Replacement (at least with text) always go back to the roots of the template.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]