FORUMS: list search recent posts

In need of assistance. My nearly completed feature film won't load in FCPX!!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Hardy
In need of assistance. My nearly completed feature film won't load in FCPX!!!
on May 20, 2013 at 4:38:54 pm

Hello all,

As obvious as my title suggests, my feature film on literally the last day of post production, has decided that it won't load... Now some details, to break up the workload, I have my media separated on several events (don't know if I'd do this again). Doing some troubleshooting I discovered that all but one of the events loads perfectly fine, the main one that has the majority of the media on it...

Now my project seems to load fine when that one event isn't present, but the issue is the majority of my media is located on that event and as a result my project is looking awful red..

Now I've tried trashing preferences, trashing render files, systematically moving footage out of the media folder on the problem event in hopes that after one move the event would load, but even with literally no media in the event folder, it still won't load. Finally I reinstalled FCPX, and it still didn't fix it.

My director was hoping to have a sit down and view the film, (which isn't going to happen) but nonetheless I would love, love LOVE to not lose all the work made in the last few weeks.

My theory,

I suspect that either my neat video noise reduction plug in is the culprit, which was used on several scenes throughout the film, or the numerous compound clips used for compositing are the culprit, could either of these cause an event not to launch?

Thanks for every bodies help!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: In need of assistance. My nearly completed feature film won't load in FCPX!!!
on May 20, 2013 at 5:08:00 pm

LOTS of possibilities here.

First and foremost, whatever media has the file that won't launch, I'd get a bit for bit file cloner and make a backup of it before you write ANYTHING else to that drive. If the issue is a bad file header or an "end of file" marker - then you're at risk of something you do writing over the bad sectors. So that would be my step one if you haven't been backing up your project regularly.

Next, look in your Movies folder and see if the Clips, Project backups and/or other files are intact there.

If so and you've got an earlier backup try to launch that. If it works, DUPLICATE that project to a fresh drive ASAP.

The success or failure is going to be whether it's corrupt storage media or just a corrupt file structure in that project. Remember X does all it's work as metadata, so the actual "state" of your edit is just small text files that are auto-saved constantly. So chances are that it maybe wrote your latest changes to a part of the drive that's gone bad and launching an earlier version will get nearly all your work back.

Let us know how it goes.

Oh, and if it proves to be a drive going bad. Clone that whole drive and retire it. Once they start going bad they tend to fail totally in short order, IME.

Good Luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Marcus Hardy
Re: In need of assistance. My nearly completed feature film won't load in FCPX!!!
on May 20, 2013 at 6:56:17 pm

Thanks for your response. I've run diagnostics on the hard drive in question numerous times, and its always reported clean and good. So I don't think its a hardware problem. I have numerous back ups of the event and media, I've tried the FCPX created 'backup' and it still hangs on loading, and I've tried opening one of my own created backups, one even as far back as october, still won't load it. I'm not sure what to make of it, I have dozens of other events on this hard drive, and they all load lightning fast, its literally this singular event that causes the problem.

Is there any way I can 'trick' FCPX into relinking my project to a separate event? So I can avoid having to deal with this headache all together?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 20, 2013 at 8:14:27 pm

[Marcus Hardy] "its literally this singular event that causes the problem."

FWIW, Quit FCP... wait a minute or so, note the time, and then try and open your problem event. After it hangs/crashes/whatever, open the Console app, select "all messages" in the upper left, and type Final Cut Pro into the search field. what is it saying has occurred at the time it just blew up?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on May 20, 2013 at 9:14:18 pm

Just checking the obvious here... is it possible that you're seeing red because you've recently changed the preferences to use Proxy media? If you're lucky enough for this to be the problem just change the preferences back to use original media.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on May 20, 2013 at 9:20:55 pm

I second checking the console app.

Here's something else you can try. Create a new event and dump all the missing media into it. From the project browser, select your project and view the inspector. Under the properties tab, click the modify event references button. It should see your new event, drag that to the top. That should at least bring all of your media back online.

To attempt to repair the event, first make a backup copy of your CurrentVersion.fcpevent and stick it somewhere safe. Then move/delete your render files, analysis files, proxy files, everything but the original media out of your event folder.

Clear all of your events and projects out of your Final Cut Projects and Events folders so only that event will show up when you launch FCPX. Open up FCPX. If your event shows, then all is not lost and you should be able to recovery cleanly from there.

Then go to to the FCPX feature request page and tell apple to give us our auto save fault back dammit.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on May 20, 2013 at 11:23:01 pm

Marcus,

I've been in your shoes, almost exactly. I had a student feature I was helping with across about 8 events. I had the exact same thing happen. I did get it figured out, so hang in there.

I've tried opening one of my own created backups, one even as far back as october, still won't load it.

This would lead me to believe that something is up with your system, and not the event DB files. Could be your OS itself, but more likely third party plugins? Not just the motion stuff in "Motion Templates" but FXPlug or even third party audio plugins?

Is there anything in /library/plug-ins folder?
Also look in /library/application support/final cut pro/templates/effects

Also tell me about that event. What is in it? Straight footage, or are you storing compound clips in there too? How big is the CurrentVersion.fcpevent file?

My first step in troubleshooting would be to create a new user account, login to it and see if the problem persists. If that didn't work try on another machine. If you don't have another Mac, create a new partition with a fresh install of the OS on it.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Marcus Hardy
on May 21, 2013 at 5:13:59 am

Okay, thank you to everyone for the replies!

Don, thank you for that, I have in the past freaked out at my media being 'offline' due to proxy mode, but alas, that is not the case here. Though they really should have a different colour for things like that...

Loren, I've tried that tactic, repairing the event file and removing all the media located therein, but this too only results in the program to hang on loading the event.

T. Payton, my first thought was third party plugins especially those from Neat Video and Coremelt, two that I use heavily in this project. However after cleanly removing them, and pretty much every other plugin I have, this still doesn't get me past the pinwheel.

This is the problem I discovered and will lead me to NOT use compound clips as often in the future for feature work. Compound clips being virtual clips and not actual physical clips, results in anything in FCPX that was in a compound clip and associated and located in that event becomes unreachable. You are unable to open the compound clip and peer inside, and because their is no physical media as far as FCPX is concerned, you cannot relink it to an event that DOES have all the media.

More details regarding the actual event, it is the main event that I started with this film and as a result has about 90% of the media associated with it. The others were created for ADR,VFX, and compound clips. However, and much to my dismay, most of my compound clips actually ended up located in the initial event. The film we made is a small budget sci fi, with ALL of its vfx being done in FCPX, as a result LOTS of compound clips were made to store composites. And then compound clips were made of scenes, OR later on, segments of the film. This is where we ran into problems. Our main, finished timeline is all compound clips, with compound clips inside each of them. In hindsight this was stupid, and in the rush and thrill of working on this film I neglected to realize how many compound clips were being 'created', I always did like it the way it was before...

Anyways, straight details: Event in question is 395.5 mbs in size with lots of compound clips inside it.

I've tried creating a new user (what i'm writing on now) and its still hanging at the load screen.

The only bright gleaming note in this is that Charlie's advice provided potential pay dirt with revealing this little detail:

2013-05-20 10:53:55.591 PM Final Cut Pro[8230]: CoreData: error: (1) I/O error for database at /Volumes/RAID/Final Cut Events/Cold Lights/CurrentVersion.fcpevent. SQLite error code:1, 'too many SQL variables'

Now I have no idea how to read this, but my guess is that my project has too many compound clips for FCPX to measure and as a result it freaks out and doesn't load.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 21, 2013 at 6:32:49 am

[Marcus Hardy] "2013-05-20 10:53:55.591 PM Final Cut Pro[8230]: CoreData: error: (1) I/O error for database at /Volumes/RAID/Final Cut Events/Cold Lights/CurrentVersion.fcpevent. SQLite error code:1, 'too many SQL variables'

Now I have no idea how to read this, but my guess is that my project has too many compound clips for FCPX to measure and as a result it freaks out and doesn't load.

Any ideas on what I can do?"

No idea, but I'd paste that info into the FCP X feedback form right away, and leave contact info. Also, I believe digital rebellion makes an app that will attempt to repair an FCP X database (which is what an event or project is). However, I wouldn't mess with the original at all. Try the feedback form, and tell 'em your situation, they do read that stuff. :-)

Here's an old discussion at apple about the same issue...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034983?start=0&tstart=0

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on May 21, 2013 at 2:15:04 pm

Marcus,

[Marcus Hardy] "Neat Video and Coremelt, two that I use heavily in this project"

[Marcus Hardy] "Our main, finished timeline is all compound clips, with compound clips inside each of them."

Interestingly that this is exactly how I built my film with the exception of Neat Video. Can you give me a call. Find the contact number at my web site onecreative.net. Ask for T.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on May 22, 2013 at 11:27:25 am

You say your event is 400 mb? For a feature? That is tiny. It should be 400 GIGA bytes or more, right?

There's no way your actual media can be in that event. Instead, it must be filled with pointers to the actual media. In other words, the media was never copied into the event itself; instead, it was linked to it. If you changed the organization or drive the actual media was one, you would be having major offline media issue. You need to re-import/re-link the media to restore the connections.

Hopefully that's the case.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on May 22, 2013 at 3:02:13 pm

[Michael Hadley] "You say your event is 400 mb?"

Oh that is just the database file. currentevent.fcpevent

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 22, 2013 at 4:14:23 pm

[Marcus Hardy] "This is the problem I discovered and will lead me to NOT use compound clips as often in the future for feature work. Compound clips being virtual clips and not actual physical clips, results in anything in FCPX that was in a compound clip and associated and located in that event becomes unreachable. You are unable to open the compound clip and peer inside, and because their is no physical media as far as FCPX is concerned, you cannot relink it to an event that DOES have all the media."

Sorry you had to learn the lesson, but thanks for sharing!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 22, 2013 at 5:05:15 pm

[Richard Herd] "You are unable to open the compound clip and peer inside, and because their is no physical media as far as FCPX is concerned, you cannot relink it to an event that DOES have all the media.""

And this is why I won't use CC's for versioning either. There's a bunch of people who, in trying to make X more like 7, are shouting far and wide to cut everything in CC's. In this way they can mimic other NLE's where sequences live in your "project" with all your media. I like having a separate Project Library, and this is another reason to use X like X. :-)

Return to posts index

Marcus Hardy
on May 23, 2013 at 11:47:05 pm

Greetings all, been a hell of a week.

We figured it out. With the gracious assistance of T. Payton I might add.

After learning about the SQLite error, I researched it and found a couple forum posts complaining about a similar issue. They claimed that they were able to open it after a long time, say 8 hours. So following their advice, I did the same and sure enough it did indeed open, albeit incredibly slow, and laggy. Took me 5 minutes between each click. But here is what I did that helped me over come the dreaded offline compound clips.

Once open, I first made a new Event, on a separate hard drive, then, in my problem event I made a smart collection, and set it to find all compound clips in the event. Then after 20 minutes of beachballing, all my compound clips popped up, offline of course. Then I selected each of them and dragged them to the new event. once they appeared in the new event I quit final cut.

Then using event manager x, I moved all events and projects offline. And then proceeded to boot final cut immediately with a new event. Then I located all my media attached to the problem event and dragged it into the new event. But only as references, to keep down on space. Finally keeping my problem event offline, I proceeded to launch FCPX, and in three minutes flat, it launched and to my marvel, all my media and those damn compound clips came back online.

Now I don't know how this fixed it exactly, but its what worked for me.

As maintenance I'm now in the process of eliminating the compound clips that are no longer in use, which also is helping bring down the database size.

Also, be warned that certain plug-ins store their data inside the event database, mainly coremelt products. This doesn't mean they are bad products, the opposite exact, but just be careful with how heavily you use them.

Thank you again for everyone to help out with this, I don't know if I would have been able to figure this all out if it weren't for the cow. Thanks everybody! If you are ever in Calgary Alberta Canada, I'll buy you a drink!

Cheers,

Marcus Hardy

Return to posts index

Michael Lebor
on Aug 19, 2013 at 10:45:39 pm

Can anyone explain his in a slightly more step by step for idiots way? I am 1000 miles from the computer that originally created the project and all of my compound clips are offline.

Marcus had led me to believe I can solve this but I can't follow these instructions...

Return to posts index

Marcus Hardy
on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:14:42 pm

Hi Michael,

Sorry you are having problems. I know how frustrating it can be.

The issue I had with my film was that I had made compound clips of each and every stage of my film, from assembly through to locked. As well as compound clips of compound clips to merge VFX shots down into one.

This is why I was having issues. Because my final locked time line was nothing but compound clips. I couldn't reconnect the media. Compound Clips are virtual clips, they dont have a reference anywhere.

So in order to fix it, you have to be uber patient.

To fix it, it took me 5+ hours to load FCPX with the problem event loaded.

Once it was loaded, I cautiously and meticulously made a smart collection that summoned every compound clip in the event.

Once this loaded, I hit command A to select all the compound clips.

I then created a new event (you can do this beforehand, its faster) and dropped them onto the new event.

Once they appeared. I quit FCPX.

I then took just the problem event offline using Event Manager X.

I left the project online.

Finally, I moved the media that was associated with the problem event over to the new event. I just did it as references, but you can physically move them if you prefer.

Finally I booted FCPX with the new event and the old project.

This is what I did that fixed the problem.

I cannot explain how it fixed it, and I can't say it'll work for your situation. But hopefully its a bit more eligible.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Marcus Hardy

Return to posts index

Michael Lebor
on Aug 20, 2013 at 7:29:05 am

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for getting back to me - Sadly I seem to fall at the first instruction, which is make a smart collection and make it "summon every smart collection in the event". I can't seem to select a filter for compound clips... or find on the web how to do this!

After a restless night still have no solution. Your solution sounds like it may work for mine. I'll be a little clearer;

All of my media, project folders, event folders, render folders etc etc are all on one disk image within an external hard drive. As far as I am aware there are no other reference files for the project on the computer I created the project on, they should all be contained within this one Disk Image.

Now I am 1000 miles away from the computer that created the project with the hard drive and Disk Image with everything supposedly on it. Yet when I open up FCPX on another computer, the compound clips are offline.

All of the media is online but the compound clips are offline and cannot be expanded. My entire timeline is a compound clip as that is how i used the workflow to create older versions of edits that I might need to go back to.

Return to posts index

Marcus Hardy
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:15:34 am

Hi Michael,

To summon compound clips you gotta be a little creative.

In previous versions of FCPX, I had to create a smart collection that searched for files called 'compound' If you simply created the compound clips without renaming them this should summon them.

However, a much easier way is to create a smart collection.

In the edit menu for the smart collection, select from the plus drop down menu 'Clip Type'

Then it should present a string of commands to the degree of 'Clip is/isn't and then a list of all the clip types, first being audition, then compound, then multi cam and layered graphic.

Select the 'compound' option.

From there, if you are having the same issues as I was, you'll have to wait, a long while, for them all to generate.

However once you do, you should be able to follow my previous instructions.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear earlier, I forgot that workarounds I figured out aren't universally known.

Hope this helps!

Marcus Hardy

Return to posts index

Michael Lebor
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:31:20 am

Hi Marcus,

Call me a lsow learner... but I really can't get past the first hurdle...

"In the edit menu for the smart collection, select from the plus drop down menu 'Clip Type'"

I CAN CREATE A NEW SMART COLLECTION... BUT CANNOT FIND ANYWHERE AN OPTION TO FILTER IT BY COMPOUND CLIPS - The only drop down menu I can see is to select between "all clips", "hide rejected", "no ratings or key words" ETC ETC - none of them mention compound clips...

Then it should present a string of commands to the degree of 'Clip is/isn't and then a list of all the clip types, first being audition, then compound, then multi cam and layered graphic.

Select the 'compound' option.

SO I CAN"T EVEN GET THIS FAR.... if I highlight the new smart collection and go to the "edit" menu, no such options are available there either...

Return to posts index

Marcus Hardy
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:34:58 am

Ah, I think I see the problem.

To access the filtering options for smart collections you have to double click on them.

A pop up HUD menu should appear. From there my instructions should make sense.

Return to posts index

Michael Lebor
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:46:20 am

Sadly not... this is the problem - I've double clicked, triple clicked, quadruple clicked and the HUD i get does not mention Compound clips anywhere...

The only menu that pops up is "Audio and Video" "Video only" "Audio only" and "stills"

What am I missing?!

Where is the compound clip filter?!

Return to posts index

Michael Lebor
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:49:56 am

Sadly not... this is the problem - I've double clicked, triple clicked, quadruple clicked and the HUD i get does not mention Compound clips anywhere...

The only menu that pops up is "Audio and Video" "Video only" "Audio only" and "stills"

What am I missing?!

Where is the compound clip filter?!

EDIT - OK SO FIRST YOU HAVE ADD A FILTER - AND THAT FILTER HAS TO BE 'CLIP TYPE' - this is what I was not doing... It was creating the default filter, which is "media Type" and that does not have a compound clip option...

So I have added a "clip type" filter, and selected smart collection... NOw i will go back to the rest of your instructions!

Thanks very much, I'll let you know how I get on...

Return to posts index

Michael Lebor
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:57:06 am

So I think we have a different problem after all that...

WHen I filter the compound clips, one compound clip appears, it is in fact online - but this has always been online and I have no idea why this CC is online and others are not - As for the CC clips that are offline (there are only two of them) they do not show up in the filtered list of CC clips - not even offline - there is no beach balling either - the computer is not thinking about it or processing anything - it is like the CC clips are not there at all.

The only place I can see the compound clips is on the timeline - where they say "event Missing"... Did yours say "event missing" or just "offline"?

Sorry for the slow start... I guess I will have to find another method.

Return to posts index

Michael Lebor
on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:07:20 am

WOW!!!

Thanks Marcus for putting up with my incredible slowness...

I have fixed it and I'm shocked that it worked....

Basically I got my wife to go into my computer at home and send me the 'current version" fcp file from the New Event folder. I then simply put this event into the C drive of my current laptop using the correct folder structure - so the 'project' is reading from two events - one on my external hard drive and one on my C drive.

I have no idea why or how, but the Compund CLip that I created must have been referencing the New Event on the C drive of my other laptop in London... The laptop I am editing on now in FInland has all the media apart from one tiny bit of meta data that somehow didn't make the journey with me...

I guess the lesson is to be super careful where the meta data for the compound clips is being saved - I thought it was on my external hard drive but it was in fact on the C drive of my other laptop...

So pleased that nightmare is over!!

Thanks Marcus.

Return to posts index

Marcus Hardy
on Aug 20, 2013 at 5:17:08 pm

No problem!!!

Glad you figured it out!

Take care!

Cheers,

Marcus Hardy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]