FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import a caption or subtitle file?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Import a caption or subtitle file?
on May 17, 2013 at 3:35:50 pm

Is it possible in X, 7, or CS6 to somehow import a CC or Subtitle file and turn it into regular text captions right in the timeline? Or any sort of automated process that's better than cut and paste from a word doc transcript?

Return to posts index

Atilio Menéndez
Re: Import a caption or subtitle file?
on May 18, 2013 at 11:18:57 am

probably TitleExchange:

http://www.spherico.de/filmtools/TitleExchange/

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on May 18, 2013 at 10:20:06 pm

Check out Zeitanker's Annotation Edit. We use it for all our subtitling.

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCP7/X
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

Justin powell
on Aug 14, 2013 at 8:25:57 pm

Hey Patrice,

Just bought it and am struggling to find any comprehensive instructions and tutorials for creating timecode ins and outs from transcription.

how do you import the transcription text from a word/pages file, add timecode to it while watching video playback and then export an xml to FCPX and a 3 column excel file?

I'm running FCP 10.0.8/9 and Annotation Edit 1.9.32.

The manual really just references its use with FCP Legacy, and the lazy, image only FCPX manual seems to be from an older version of Annotation Edit, as the Export>Image (NLE,DCP) window shows bot FCP X options checked off, which is not possible in my version.

Lotta noob questions, apologize if this exists in another post in here.

Advanced Thanks

MacBook Pro Retina Display
2.7ghz Intel Core i7
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
512 SSD
FCPX 10.0.8, CS6, Smoke 2013
Mac OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on May 19, 2013 at 1:48:02 pm

Is it possible in X, 7, or CS6 ...

These are 3 totally different things!!!

Each of the apps do require a totally different format and approach.
There is no app which covers all of them (this includes my own TitleExchange)

For X the only (not perfect) way is to use my XTI.

For 7 you can use several apps, some are even free or available online for free.

For CS6 an option is to use Belle Nuit which has a lot of import options you can convert to others.
You can use my psTitles as well. But it is restricted to Spruce STL as import option. You also need PhotoShop and it is slow. But you will get editable titles in PPro -- no other app will give you this option.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2013 at 2:27:35 am

I ask because those are the 3 apps I edit with on my system.

Here's the best solution I've found-

Send final video off to scribie.com. They transcribe and make a sbv caption file for 2.50 a minute.

Convert sbv file to srt file with free converters on Internet.

Get $49 sugarfx subtitles plugin. Import srt file.

There are some formatting issues that have to be overcome, with return issues, but its still probably days faster than typing it yourself. The subtitles plugin is extremely cool.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on May 20, 2013 at 9:12:17 am

while the sugarfx subtitles plugin is pretty cool it is somehow locked to a 'cage'.
that's why i mentioned my xti for fcp x (xti is a free app). different from the sugarfx subtitles plugin xti creates a project (from a srt) with titles of your choice. you can merge them with your original edit -- so if a clip moves the subtitle will move as well. all subtitle clips will have a role. having more than 1 language therefore is easily controllable. Also the subtitle clips can have names (which are the start of the subtitle text) this allows to have a workaround for the broken text search in fcpx

-andreas

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/TitleExchange/XTI/XTI_Help.pdf

Spherico

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2013 at 3:11:18 pm

I'm gonna check it out.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2013 at 9:10:11 pm

Ok. Looks promising. I've been playing with it, but have some questions.

The timing. When I import my srt (created from a converted sbv) and export/import as fcp xml, I end up with a bunch of titles without any gaps. IOW, if someone isn't talking for a minute, the text just sits there. In my tests with the sugarfx plugin, the titles blink on and off perfectly in time. Within a frame generally. The titles I'm getting from tep or xti are visually early or late by 4 or 5 frames.

Other times I try and import the fcpxml I get this crazy message in FCP X-

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2013 at 9:38:53 pm

I figured out the gaps. I selected ntsc timing and it matches the other exactly. And I think I used TEP when I got that error message. XTI seems to work as you said. I was confused. Will certainly donate if it works! Looks like it will.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on May 21, 2013 at 2:25:35 pm

Bret,

Sorry for the confusion and the errors you got.

Using any subtitle file is not that easy since most of the available formats do not "carry" a base FPS information. So timing can be anything.
For example with SRT a "00:01:10,920" time can be absolute or relative. So in a NTSC 30 FPS (DF) environment the "920" (920/1000 seconds) would be "27.6" frames -- which doesn't make sense at all. (With PAL 25 it would be "23" -- makes more sense)
What to do? Round up or round down?
In case the time is absolute it will be "00:01:10;27" as you are still in frame 27 -- so it's rounding down always.
But what happens if this TC wasn't meant to be made for this environment?
Simply convert the time given by HH, MM, SS plus milliseconds to milliseconds. From there convert it to a schema which hopefully matches your target format -- in this example NTSC 30 FPS (DF). But you still don't know how the HH, MM, SS were created -- means you only got a better kind of guess.

So any app (including those of mine) handling subtitle timing may be wrong or right in certain situations, easier or less easy to use.
Also the input format can make a difference, even when it looks the same (or expected) there may be invisible "bad" characters, line feeds instead of returns or the other way round and so on.

In my earlier post I didn't want to say SUGARfx is bad or something is wrong with it -- it is really cool and works for different kind of hosts.
I just wanted to show up that different environments require different approaches or solutions.

-Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 21, 2013 at 4:38:06 pm

[Andreas Kiel] "Also the input format can make a difference, even when it looks the same (or expected) there may be invisible "bad" characters, line feeds instead of returns or the other way round and so on.
"

This is exactly the problem I had with my sbv to srt conversions. The test transcript and sbv file from them was great. I have no idea if the line return/feed problem was from them. I converted the file to srt using any of 4 or 5 free conversion utilities on the net. The result import to sugarfx was always the same - all the titles came up at the same spot. But if I went in and deleted the returns and replaced them with the return from the sugarfx example srt, then they worked. But I have to go in and replace hundreds of returns. Not horrible, but a pain. Only takes a few minutes though. After that, the timing from scribie.com was immaculate.

But those same srt files worked perfectly with xti, no adjustments needed. And if I used ntsc timing then the timing was exactly the same.

So I guess formatting, you change them all at once by selecting in timeline and then using the inspector? That works, except if you forget one, then you can't change them all at once if one of them doesn't have exact same properties. That always bugs me in X. Audio is the same way. If a bunch of audio clips are -10 db, I can highlight them all and drag the volume slider up to -7db. But if one of the clips is -9db, then the slider is greyed out. Same goes with title fonts and sizes.

So I love the formatting automation in the sugarfx plug. And the lesser steps. But having individual titles from XTI is such a plus. Now if I could just import the sbv with xti that would be great.

My only peeve is this having to export a template. It was extremely confusing at first. I figured that was sort of an advanced option and that I could use a default of sorts. But it was required. Why not install a default one and have it use that UNLESS someone wants to select a different custom one? Since you can change everything after the fact in X, why not?

In a few days we'll be using XTI to do 45 min of video. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 21, 2013 at 4:43:25 pm

Oh, and I have to say again - scribie.com is incredible. I must admit I don't know if it's Guatemalan slave labor or what, but $1.50 a minute for top quality transcripts is just unbeatable. And an extra $1 a minute give you a sbv file that can be converted to srt and used in transcript programs like xti and sugarfx and I'm sure others. Amazing. So for say $75 bucks or less you could have a transcript of a half hour program, AND a caption file that you can plug into xti and basically have easily adjustable captions instantly. Wow.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on May 25, 2013 at 11:10:41 am

[Brett wrote] My only peeve is this having to export a template. It was extremely confusing at first. I figured that was sort of an advanced option and that I could use a default of sorts. But it was required. Why not install a default one and have it use that UNLESS someone wants to select a different custom one? Since you can change everything after the fact in X, why not?

This sounds like a good idea.
But on the question is "which template?". There are literally millions of options with FCP X.

-Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Alejandro Benavente
on Jun 3, 2013 at 11:52:27 am

Hi all,
Slightly off-topic, but I believe Bret had his question solved already; I couldn't find another XTI-related thread, and would be very grateful if Andreas could spare a minute to have a look at this himself.

I'm currently trying to set up some stable workflow for our subtiling needs, which would involve working with SRTs and some motion template style subs on FCPX in some cases, for which your tools seem to come in extremely handy.
I'm having an issue with XTI conversion, though... everything seems to work just fine, but my fcpxml-imported project has all in and out points rounded to a second (i.e. miliseconds are discarded, and not translated into frames, all in-outs are HH:MM::SS:00).
I've checked that my SRT has subtitles synced to the milisecond, and this info is correctly translated to the fcpxml generated by XTI, so I think the rounding comes up on FCPX import (we're currently working with 10.0.8).

Any tip on this issue would be most welcome. Andreas, thanks a lot for developing this tool, and making it freely available.

- Alex.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 3, 2013 at 1:35:22 pm

Hi Alejandro,

No idea why this happens. Never had this issue.

Feel free to send me the SRT and I'll have a look (my email is in the help file).

-Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 3, 2013 at 3:19:10 pm

Hi A

Thanks for the example(s).
I thought it would be interesting for others as well to reply here.

More or less the errors you got are FCPX errors. You are using a decimal delimiter (set up in system setup) "," instead of "."
FCPX obviously can't handle that (same as some pretty old versions of legacy FCP).

So:
"title offset="6,0/1s" ref="r2" name="Basic Subtitle" duration="4,838/1s" start="3600s"
Won't work.

Give me 2 days to fix.

-Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 5, 2013 at 1:59:41 pm

Hi all,

I've updated the version of XTI to fix the odd decimal divider errors.

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/TitleExchange/XTI/XTI.dmg

-Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Alejandro Benavente
on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:00:48 pm

Hi,

I can confirm this version fixes the issue; SRT subtitles are imported frame-accurate into FCPX now.
Really useful tool, and very helpful and fast support; thanks a lot for that, Andreas.

Alex.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 7, 2013 at 11:21:39 am

Hi all,

There is a new update available.
The new version "cleans" FCPXMLs which where badly formatted by chance.

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/TitleExchange/XTI/index.html

-Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]