FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I keep FCP from saving files to my hard drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ignacio Holiday
How do I keep FCP from saving files to my hard drive?
on May 13, 2013 at 1:02:31 am

I've asked different variations of this same question before, but no one has been able to help, and maybe I'm not explaining it very clearly. I've been setting up all my projects and events to save to my external drive. But FCP keeps saving the "Effect Browser Thumbnails" and "Render Files" on my hard drive under username/library/movies/Final Cut Events. Everyone's told me to check my import preferences, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to check. On my import preferences I leave all the boxes unchecked.

It saves the rest of the project on my external drive where I told it to put it; it's just these thumbnails and render files that keep getting saved on my hard drive. I'd just like to make it so that they get saved in my "events" folder on my external drive, along with everything else.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: How do I keep FCP from saving files to my hard drive?
on May 13, 2013 at 2:16:29 am

Render files are saved with the project, not the event. What drive is your project on? There may be some recreatable files like thumbnails that are saved to your program drive.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 13, 2013 at 2:47:18 pm

Ignacio, are these folders directly in the Final Cut Events folder and there's no actual Event? I have this as well, since I use my internal drive when fiddling or trying out things in X. I wouldn't worry about them. as long as your footage resides on your Events in the external drive you have nothing to worry about, the internal folders have nothing to do with your External Drive

You don't need to tell FCPX where to save render files it will always saves them in the Project Folder you are working on. I do however see Render Files every now and again appearing in Events, perhaps some Compound rendering going on? Thumbnail Cache and Render Files can be deleted without a problem, so if you needed to share your Projects , any missing Render files can be re-rendered.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 13, 2013 at 2:52:21 pm

Event Browser Thumbnails are probably in there by default. X does show you the internal drive, even without an event.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 13, 2013 at 8:57:49 pm

Ignacio, sorry, I wasn't paying attention while typing, of course not Event but Effect browser thumbnails. FCPX generates these files in your internal drive probably when previewing Effects. Don't worry about it. If your events and Projects or online and you have them on your External dive, there's nothing to worry about.

Return to posts index

Ignacio Holiday
on May 13, 2013 at 10:44:23 pm

So I can erase them without messing up my project? If they're not neccessary why are they created in the first place? Still trying to understand this file system.

Return to posts index

John Chen
on May 14, 2013 at 4:00:58 am

When I was setting up FCP X, I deleted "Final Cut Events" and "Final Cut Projects" from my HD and made sure those folders only existed on my external drive. That seems to kick all the render files to my external. I do have to be careful to create new projects specifically on the external. If you create new projects on the HD it will re-create those two folders and begin rendering everything on the internal HD.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 14, 2013 at 9:05:52 am

The Effect Browser Thumbnails are probably created when skimming through effects, FCPX probably needs to generate something to be able to preview effects.

Render Files, Peaks Data, Thumbnail Cache and Effects browser Thumbnails can be deleted without a problem. The program will generate them anyway once you open X. You would need to re- render your project, but that's not a problem.

Your Events and Projects residing on your External drive have nothing to do with the folders in your internal drive. Anything important to your edit is in the external drive in your Events and Projects folder, nowhere else.

I'm guessing (editor - not computer expert) that the Effect Browser Thumbnails are generated in the internal drive when you skim effects but don't use them, so the thumbnails aren't linked to a specific event.

I would recommend Event Manager X to organize your Events and Projects, and its best to move and delete render files from within FCPX.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 14, 2013 at 8:37:58 pm

Is your event listed in that folder? If not, then that's normal. I have the same folders. Camera render files, effect browser thumbnails, and peaks data. No specific event(s) listed. These are files created as a cache to help the program operate more efficiently. Surely you understand what thumbnails are. In FCP 7 you could specify where you wanted thumbnails to go. I think most people left the default alone, which was in prefs or something like that. Peaks data is just waveforms I think. Camera render files? Not sure on that one. Perhaps it's analyzation files or something.

How big is this folder you're worried about? My events folder on the system hard drive is a whopping 26megs. Quit worrying about it and move on. If you delete it, it will be recreated. It's like trying to delete the program preferences.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]