FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Macbook Pro w/T-bolt Display to replace 2009 MBP & 2011 iMac? Looking for FCX-use advice...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Underwood
New Macbook Pro w/T-bolt Display to replace 2009 MBP & 2011 iMac? Looking for FCX-use advice...
on May 11, 2013 at 8:05:16 pm

Hi, My 2 current machines are listed below. As I look at possibly paring down to a laptop only with a large display, I'd like real world advice and opinions on:

~ 2.7Ghz or 2.8Ghz ($250 more worth the speed boost?)
~ 512Gb Flash or 768Gb ($400 seems like a lot for 250Gb extra space? Any other alternatives? I have a Buffalo Mini-station 1TB T-bolt external drive.)
~ Thunderbolt display ($999) Is there a better monitor for FCX that costs the same or less?

Last, would this 2013 laptop be "comfortable" having FCX, Protools 10 and Adobe CS5 installed on it as a far as more-crash potential goes?

Thanks in advance!

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: iMac 27", (Mid 2011), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.4GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 24GB
AMD Radeon HD 697OM, FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03
GRAID 8TB Thunderbolt

Computer: MacBookPro (Mid 2009), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core2Duo, Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Software: FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: New Macbook Pro w/T-bolt Display to replace 2009 MBP & 2011 iMac? Looking for FCX-use advice...
on May 11, 2013 at 9:10:34 pm

I always go with the fastest processor I can get, so I'd go with the 2.8. Since you have a Thunderbolt drive, you're probably great with 512.

With the Display, I would totally wait till summer on that particular purchase. The reason being - the current displays are based on the old iMac displays, not the new ones. There's a really strong chance that the current Thunderbolt displays will be updated in the next 5 or 6 months, if not sooner. Once you've used the new iMac display, the older displays feel like mirrors. That's totally worth waiting on, IMHO.

And one overall note, in June I think the Haswell processor is coming out, which would probably be updated in the macbook pros shortly thereafter.
Read this:
http://gizmodo.com/now-is-a-horrible-time-to-buy-a-laptop-496028699

If you can hold off a few weeks on everything, I think you'll be glad you did.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
Re: New Macbook Pro w/T-bolt Display to replace 2009 MBP & 2011 iMac? Looking for FCX-use advice...
on May 14, 2013 at 2:22:29 am

I don't think the extra space is worth it, I have a tiny 128GB SSD on my mini and it seems to be fine, 256GB would be more than enough. I think I'd go choose the best graphics card with the most memory as this Open CL stuff is only going to get more exciting with FCPx. Eg I have a 2012 Air and Mini with AMD and 4000 cards, for some effects the little mini with a measly 256MB cards is twice as fast as the 4000 card who is no slouch either.

The new intel platform will have a 5000 so will be better but do some research and see what card works best with FCPx.

Return to posts index

John Chen
on May 14, 2013 at 4:08:38 am

I'm running a Macbook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB Ram, and a 256 Flash HD. I wish I had upgraded my HD, so I can work off the internal drive. However, I've quickly gotten use to carrying around my Western Digital Passport 2TB with USB 3.0. I run the Adobe CS 5 Master Suite (usually photoshop and illustrator) while running FCP X in addition to various apps (Adium, Tweetdeck, Chrome, Safari, Word) and I can probably count the number of times on one hand the system has crashed in the last 9 months. I don't use Protocol 10. In terms of Ram, I think the closes I've ever gotten to maxing out is around 10/12 GB.

In terms of the monitor, I couldn't bring myself to spend 1K on the Apple Display (although I do love them). Instead, I purchased a Samsung SyncMaster that has a lot of controls over the display and use a Spyder device to calibrate the two.

My only issue is sometimes the audio wave timeline lags a bit when I move around a lot and have to zoom out and then back in to get the wave forms to update.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]