FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Missing from FCPX Multicam Clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David C. Scott
Video Missing from FCPX Multicam Clips
on May 10, 2013 at 4:00:51 pm

(I probably mistakenly posted this to the wrong forum. Sorry. Hopefully this is the appropriate place.)

While trying out FCPX's multicam feature, I have yet to successfully produce a "new multicam clip" that includes video. Only audio is included. I'm selecting clips from the Event Browser (MOV files shot with two Panasonic GH3 cameras), all transcoded while importing into FCPX from an external hard drive. These include an audio file from a Zoom recorder. (I previously used all of these assets to complete a show, simply by using FCPX to "synchronize clips." No problems.) However, afterward, I decided to try to learn multi cam editing by creating a new FCPX Project and using the same clips. I've tried numerous times to create a "new multicam clip," even limiting the number of clips to just three or four. The process completes but the new multicam clip shows black in the Even Browser as well as in the Timeline. Some clips were shot at 720p while others were (accidentally) shot at 1080p but even if I use only one format or the other, video still doesn't appear. (Larry Jordan says multicam works with clips shot in different formats so I asume shouldn't make a difference.) I have spent the morning Googling for a solution but can find no one reporting a similar problem. (I've repaired permissions and rebooted but get the same result.) Does anyone have a clue as to why this might be happening?

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: Video Missing from FCPX Multicam Clips
on May 10, 2013 at 9:51:43 pm

I haven't seen a multiclip fail yet, andit handles mixed resolutions and formats fine.

When you right click the multicam clip you just created in the event browser and select open in timeline, what do you see? Are there tracks for each camera? Do you see any clips in there?

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

David C. Scott
on May 10, 2013 at 10:29:03 pm

Just the audio track (and it plays perfectly). No video. Very strange. These are the very same clips from the very same external T-Bolt drive I used to successfully complete the project without using multi cam. I've tried every imaginable combination of these clips; i.e. all, just a few, etc. FCPX cranks away and a "new multi clip" appears in the Event Browser. Up there, the icon is black. I open it in the timeline and only the audio is there.

Earlier, however, both audio and apparently some video tracks from one of my attempts did show up in the timeline but, again, the video ones were black. Now just the audio track appears.

Tomorrow, my plan is to try a different set of clips, to see if that's the problem.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on May 10, 2013 at 10:32:09 pm

When you open it in the timeline, are you doing that by right clicking and selecting open in timeline, or are you dropping it in a project down below? Because my first guess is you don't have the video tracks active. Feel free to post a screen grab, might be easier to figure out what's going on.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

David C. Scott
on May 10, 2013 at 10:33:56 pm

I've tried both but with the same result. However, I'll relaunch FCP X now and send you a screen grab.

Return to posts index

David C. Scott
on May 10, 2013 at 10:40:19 pm

FCPX is doing it's thing as I write this. In a few moments, I'll have the multiclip. How do you suggest I get it to the timeline? Right Click or drag?

Return to posts index

David C. Scott
on May 10, 2013 at 10:53:33 pm

Well, wouldn't you know it? This time it worked. I double clicked the "new" clip in the Event Browser and all clips showed up in the time line, including the audio one, and all on different tracks. Apparently you have magical powers that somehow transmit through the Internet.

Double clicking a new multicam clip earlier did not work. I swear it!

HOWEVER, while the clips do show up in the right spots in the Timeline, the images don't always appear in the Viewer when I scrub or play them, even if selected. Some do, some don't. This undoubtedly is because I don't yet know how to properly use the multicam feature so I'll continue to explore.

Any suggestions for the best tutorial? And thanks, again, for responding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]