FORUMS: list search recent posts

continual rendering - why?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rowena Megan
continual rendering - why?
on May 9, 2013 at 11:33:35 pm

Hi there, I created a duplicate of my project and related event to another hard drive. Once I opened the new duplicate, it needed to render. Fine. But then it reached 100% and each time I want to re-open the project, it wants to render the whole thing again (has an orange line) and won't playback properly. It takes about 4 hours to reach 100% then needs to render AGAIN when I next open it. What is going on? ideas? Is there any way of analysing what it is rendering? Also, when it is not open in the timeline, it has another different render line, that wants to render each time it is not open in the timeline. Going crazy. Would love any help possible, as I have a film screening in 3 days! Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: continual rendering - why?
on May 10, 2013 at 6:44:18 am

If you open up the background tasks window you can at least get a vague idea of what it's rendering.

The things that spring to mind are:

1. delete all the project's render files and let it start again - something may have corrupted and it's off in an infinite loop.

2. Try copying the timeline into a new project - probably that would achieve the same as point 1 but you never know...

3. If there are compound clips in the project, particularly compound clips nested in other compound clips weird voodoo can happen so you might try breaking them all apart and seeing if that helps.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 10, 2013 at 8:57:22 pm

[Jeff Kirkland] "3. If there are compound clips in the project, particularly compound clips nested in other compound clips weird voodoo can happen so you might try breaking them all apart and seeing if that helps."

Yeah, CC's, while better than the original implementation, still cause some weirdness. They're a great feature, but still a little odd when it comes to rendering.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Rowena Megan
on May 10, 2013 at 9:39:08 pm

Thanks... in another forum someone suggested deleting old render files, which I did, and it worked! Well, it seems to have for now. I think a major problem was that I had to link all my sound so created Synced files, which seemed to not be sent properly when I did the duplicate project. Not sure why. What a mare. Thanks for your suggestions though.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on May 11, 2013 at 5:24:25 am

On another note, do you even need to render your entire timeline? I leave auto render off and rarely render anything in the timeline anymore unless I really need to see a more complex effect playback in real time. I'll even range-export small portions instead of rendering, then trash the file after viewing. Though my work is fairly light on things that need long renders.

At first I thought background rendering would be great, but its not truly in the background. Then there's the weirdness with renders you're expirenceing (I've had some troubles too). Those things along with the fact that GPU acceleration is enabled on export (as well as in-timeline rendering) have led me to the methods above.

Return to posts index

Rowena Megan
on May 11, 2013 at 2:04:30 pm

hmmmm that's something to think about. I didn't actually know you could disable the auto-render. On another note (since you seem to know what you are talking about), when I duplicated my project it duplicated exactly the same size project obviously, of 25min. Then I added 5min of footage hoping to extend my project to 30min. But the additional time over 25min appears outside the project area and in an area covered with diagonal black thin lines (still visible but covered with lines), which means when I tried to export the project, it only wants to export the first 25min. If I do I and O and then export, it changes the length of the export but how do I lengthen the project itself to include the added clips? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 11, 2013 at 3:47:20 pm

[Rowena Megan] "But the additional time over 25min appears outside the project area and in an area covered with diagonal black thin lines (still visible but covered with lines), which means when I tried to export the project, it only wants to export the first 25min. If I do I and O and then export, it changes the length of the export but how do I lengthen the project itself to include the added clips? Thanks!"

It's because you've cut you sequence in a compound clip, not a project. the solution is to go to the project library, (little film can icon) and make a new project (make sure to choose the proper event to asociate it with when you create it) Then cut the Compound Clip (what you're calling your project) in to t)he project (cmd D) then highlight it and press SHFT-CMD-G to break it apart. then you can extend it as much as you like. Also, I'd suggest reading up on the difference between CC's and Projects... They each have Pros and cons... :-)

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 11, 2013 at 8:27:24 pm

The diagonal lines simply mean that you are editing inside a copy (instance) of a compound clip that isn't using all the available media.

It's been a long day so I might not be explaining this well but..

When you create a compound clip a 'master' version exists in the event library and you can use instances of it on your project timeline. In the project you may not be using the entire compound clip and if you open the compound from within your project you will see diagonal lines indicating what parts of the full length compound clip aren't being used in your project.

In your case you added five minutes to the compound clip making it 25 minutes long but the copy in use in your project is still set to only be 20 minutes long. You need to go back to the project and drag it out to the new length.

If you opened the 'master version' of that compound clip in the event library instead of from within the project you wouldn't see any diagonal lines because you're looking at the complete clip.

Hope that made sense...

http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Rowena Megan
on May 12, 2013 at 3:54:03 am

Thanks.. It's been an even longer day for me so my brain is working slowly... question: "You need to go back to the project and drag it out to the new length." How do I do this?
I have already edited, so there is no point going back to the master, it is too late for that, and I need to export it for a screening tomorrow.. so how do I drag it out like you said? Or is there a shortcut to exporting it inc the part with the diagonal lines just for now? THanks so much for your time :)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 12, 2013 at 5:16:49 am

[Rowena Megan] " so how do I drag it out like you said?"

find the compound clip that is too short(what you're calling your project) in your event browser

from the File menu, choose "New Project" Leave the settings as they are (it'll say something like set properties based on first clip)and make sure the default event selected is the event in which you have located your sequence above. Click OK

in the event, select the compound clip containing your sequence and hit D to cut it into the new project. drag the end of the clip out as far as it'l go and you should be all set.
Alternately, you can select the clip you just dropped into the new project, and from the Clip menu choose "Break Apart Clip Items". Then your timeline will appear and you will now actually have a project that you can extend to the end of time if you want. :-)

To sum up... Compound Clips can be opened in a timeline and edited like a project, but they are not the same as projects...

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 12, 2013 at 5:31:03 am

Not having seen the layout of your project, I could well be missing something but to see the diagonal lines at the start and/or end of a compound clip you must be using it on a timeline and not showing the complete length of the clip. In your case, it's because you've added to the length of the clip so the version in the timeline remains at the original 20 minutes long and the diagonal lines are indicating that the contents are now 5 minutes longer.

You need to go to that compound clip wherever it is being used and lengthen it on the timeline to include the entirety of its contents.

As an example, I use compound clips to create scenes. I edit each scene in a compound clip and then when ready, lay them out in a project timeline. If I then go back and change the length of one of those scenes, i.e. edit the contents of the compound clip, I now have to manually lengthen or shorten the compound clip on the timeline as it won't automatically change to reflect the new length.

Hope that's more helpful..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]