FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blue overlays in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Szymanski
Blue overlays in FCPX
on May 9, 2013 at 9:21:59 pm

Hey, we're new to FCPX and wondering what's up with the blue overlays we're seeing on this video. It was shot on RED, and we have the Red plugin. The video plays without the blue in both the viewer and canvas windows, but about a second after it's stopped the blue shows up, and only on the darkest parts. Looks like an excess luma overlay or zebras or something. Anyone know what it is called, what it's for, and how to turn it off?

Thanks, Tom

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Blue overlays in FCPX
on May 9, 2013 at 9:34:15 pm

Not a clue. Sorry.

I agree it looks like something mapping luma values to the screen via false color. I had a monitor card going bad once that did the same kinda thing, but on everything, not just still frames.

I suppose if you can't get it to stop showing up on still frames, maybe you can find a way to get it to show up on ALL the footage - then "motivate" it by having a character drop acid in an early scene?

Seriously, I hope you figure it out - and be sure to stop back and let us know if you do.

Sorry not to be more help.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Tom Szymanski
on May 9, 2013 at 9:37:01 pm

Ha! I like the dropping acid answer.

I should have mentioned, we thought it might be the monitor and tried it on an external mac cinema display as well as on the laptop itself and it does the same thing. Good idea though.

Return to posts index

Allen Baldwin
on May 10, 2013 at 1:20:38 am

I am having this same problem tonight. The blue remains on the exported file as well, which leads me to believe it is a weird defect in the Metadata file for the RED footage? Something like that maybe?

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on May 10, 2013 at 1:35:02 pm

What happens if you export to Quicktime?

What does the scope/wfm say?

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Allen Baldwin
on May 10, 2013 at 1:45:27 pm

Yes, definitely still there in the QT export.

Scopes read it as actual blue video. And the waveform isn't putting anything below 0. I have found that if I turn up the blacks so nothing is below 10% or so, the blues go away. It will work for today, as I only have a roughcut due, but any thoughts. A DP friend of mine thought it might be related to noise in the blacks.

Return to posts index

Allen Baldwin
on May 10, 2013 at 1:48:11 pm

In addition, I found today that adjusting the "Shadow" slider in the RED RAW Settings is definitely changing the power of those blue overlays. Much Much less intense if I even turn the "SHADOW" up above .1

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 10, 2013 at 8:55:08 pm

Not an answer, but I'd suggest submitting this on the FCP feedback page, with a link to this post so they can see the pics. They actually do look at stuff that gets submitted. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Tom Szymanski
on May 11, 2013 at 1:29:02 am

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We'll try messing with the footage to get rid of the blues and I'll submit it to Apple. Good ideas.

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Szymanski
on May 12, 2013 at 6:30:21 am

Okay, here's the fix we found.

In the Inspector:
Info
Modify RED RAW Settings
Gamma ->change this to Red Gamma

For whatever reason ours was on Red Gamma 3 which produced the blue effect. Color correction in FCPX afterwards seems to work normally and helps bring the shadows back.

I'm sure it's just a weird workaround, and there's probably a better way to do it, but it looks like it could work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]