FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change clip speed without rippling timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Davis
Change clip speed without rippling timeline?
on May 9, 2013 at 2:06:35 pm

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but is there a way to modify the speed of a clip without changing its length in the timeline and rippling all the clips that follow it? I had a shot (with dissolves on both ends) that the client wanted to speed up, and I ended up copying the clip, pasting it to the end of the timeline, changing its speed, adjusting its length to match the original clip, and manually moving it back into place and reapplying dissolves. Pretty cumbersome. FCP 7 had a checkbox in the speed dialog, but I'm not seeing an equivalent in X.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Change clip speed without rippling timeline?
on May 9, 2013 at 3:00:53 pm

I think FCP legacy added that checkbox in verson 7 or maybe 6 sadly. A more efficient way would be to bump your shot out of the primary (cmd+option+up arrow) and then adjust speed, then trim it back to it's original length and cmd+option+down arrow to pop it back in the timeline.

Return to posts index

William Davis
on May 9, 2013 at 3:12:45 pm

Thanks, Bret. The shot in question was a connected clip, so I wasn't able to bump it up using the keyboard shortcut. It's good to know that this is a limitation- I'll be sending Apple some feedback right...now.

Cheers,
Bill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 9, 2013 at 5:47:41 pm

So I assume it's not just by itself, but in a secondary? Otherwise nothing would ripple. If it's in a secondary, you can still move it out of the secondary and move it back. Same cmd+opt+up arrow moves it out and leaves a gap. Then you'll have to use the p (position) tool to manually drag it back without rippling the secondary.

Return to posts index

Zalman Glassner
on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:30:12 am

Speed change needs improvement, but has lots of benefits as well.

Consider, taking note of your clips duration before a speed change, make whatever change you'd like then select the clip and hit control-D, then type in your original duration.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]