FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with proxy and Alpha

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Bernard
Problem with proxy and Alpha
on May 6, 2013 at 7:51:09 pm

Hello,

here's the situation: I would like to work on proxies for one project, since it's just way more fluent for a 45 minutes show. The thing is that there are some clips used in it (like light leaks and stuff) that needs the Alpha intact for the show to be watchable while we're working on it.
The logical solution is to keep those clips in ProRes 4444 and use the rest as proxy, but I haven't found an option to do so. FCPX only allow me to either use proxy in my project, and then get's file online on my 4444 or not use proxy, and then all of my proxies are useless, it just uses my optimized.
Any knows some workaround?

Thanks to all

Return to posts index

Daniel Bernard
Re: Problem with proxy and Alpha
on May 6, 2013 at 7:54:00 pm

By the way, I do have a workaround where I actually convert 4444 clips to Proxy and then change the blending mode to Add. It is just tedious and I believe a solution where my timeline read whatever is on it, bet it Proxies or ProRes 4444 just seems like it's the way it should be which makes me believe there is something I am not getting somewhere.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 6, 2013 at 10:02:00 pm

It's either proxys, or optimized / originals.

It's not a question of what's on your timeline. It's a question of what is in the event. The timeline simply links to the event. Even though the setting says playback, it refers to whether the event is pointed at the proxy media folder, or the optimized folder.

Which has me thinking, .... perhaps one could copy the requested 4444 files from the optimized folder directly into the proxy folder. Fooling the system. Perhaps there's a technique to be created here. But don't take my advice. It'll probably screw up your whole project.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 6, 2013 at 10:23:41 pm

Ok. Had to test it. Found a way to do it but you really risk screwing up your event if you don't know what you're doing.

The proxy and the original in my current project have the same file name. So, I first tried to put the original in the proxy folder. But FCP was looking for the proxy codec when you tell it to play back proxy. I could even relink successfully, but it wouldn't show in the event.

But the reverse, put the proxy clips in the originals folder worked flawlessly. Soooo, if you really need to mix proxys with 4444, you COULD do it. But it's going to require a lot of manual moving stuff around. After X is done creating proxys, you'd have to shut down x and move the originals somewhere safe. But leave the 4444 clips with the alpha. THEN move the proxys into the originals folder.

In my test I mixed a proxy and a avcintra100 clip on the same timeline. Should work for prores 4444 as well. This technique might benefit 4k users that are really forced to use proxy quality.

But by gosh I DO NOT recommend this in any way. Got it? I am in no way responsible for the mass chaos and or event/project destruction that will likely be created.

Do not do this.

and don't steal music.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 6, 2013 at 10:36:37 pm

Yeah. I wouldn't do it. You can mix and match the footage, but don't expect to be able to swap the proxy back to full rez without manual relinking. So it's all doable. But requires a lot of manual relinking.

So obviously this is something that Apple should configure for the future. The ability to switch just some clips to proxy playback while leaving others full rez. The timeline can do it. It's just a media management nightmare.

Return to posts index

Daniel Bernard
on May 7, 2013 at 4:09:13 am

Ahah totally got all of it. Solution I hadn't thought of. Would've tested it tomorrow at the office if you hadn't done it yourself by pure curiosity, so thank you for trying it.
The project is just way too big (10 episodes of 45 minutes each) for me to spend that much time fiddling around mwith media that much. I'll just Proxy the hell out of my 4444 and change their blending mode to Add.
Will do the trick. I just find it stupid mthat it isn't allowed inside FCPX. Sometimes, I don't understand what software developper are thinking about.

Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 7, 2013 at 1:58:15 pm

Have you tried screen? That mode gets rid of 0 black.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]