FORUMS: list search recent posts

encrypted disk images

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
encrypted disk images
on May 5, 2013 at 5:08:29 pm

I've come to the conclusion that disk images are the best way to organize my media and projects for FCP X.

I will be setting up a lab in a few months for many users and want to use encrypted password protected disk images.

In experimenting with this workflow on my home system, I'm seeing long copy times to set up disk images with the original media. Most of the media files I'll be using fall into two types: P2 and Apple Pro Res 422. Just to copy small projects into a disk image that is password protected and encrypted is taking hours.

This does not seem practical in a busy lab with as many as 300 projects being produced at once. For example, I am now copying a 1/2 hour shoot from the root level of a media raid to a disk image. Granted this includes the full project and event folders not just the original media. This is also being done on the same physical raided HD. I assume it will be faster from one drive to another. Still we are looking at a 4 hour time to make the copy.

Is the encryption what is taking so long for the media to be copied?

Will it be faster if the media is originally transfered from the external source directly into the sparse image? For example I use a P2 card reader and simply copy the entire folder on the card onto the media drive. FCP X has no problems importing the files. Other projects are copied from a Ki Pro HD onto the media drive. My plan is to have at least two sets of cards/drives per camera. I will swap them out between classes and copy their content into the sparse image that belongs to a project or production team or individual. Then I will erase all media from the cards when I put them back in the cameras. However this plan will fail if it takes hours per card to copy into the sparse images.

Will a non-encrypted sparse image be a lot faster?

If so can a non-encrypted disk image still be password protected?

Is there a third party copying app that will allow faster copies of media?

I read somewhere that CCC, for example, speeds up the copy from one folder to another.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: encrypted disk images - ran test
on May 6, 2013 at 3:44:08 am

sure enough the encryption was creating the long copy time. I created a 10 gig sparse image and copied a 4 gig clip into it. Less than 1 min. I created a sparse image of the same size that was encrypted and the estimate is 35 min. Almost a 40/1 ratio.

Now I have to look into permissions as a possible way for students to not have access to each other's work and files. Bummer.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]