FORUMS: list search recent posts

Paintings in final cut pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chevas Rolfe
Paintings in final cut pro
on May 4, 2013 at 9:56:16 pm

Hi,

I had a issue today using FCPX. First I created a project using 24 frames per sec, not sure if that is an issue(because I was using stills). I dropped in a series of my painting sized in PS so that I could do some animation such as transform... so the images are sized at 1800x3200 @ 72res. Dropped everything onto timeline added titles and did some animation. Here is the problem when I put transitions between each frame(dissolves mostly but did throw in a few variations) my timeline froze on me and I could not re-enter that project... Had to quit out of FCP, hide the project and then FCP was working. My question is should my workflow change when using stills, I also want the possibility to use a video clip in this piece?

Chevas

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
Re: Paintings in final cut pro
on May 5, 2013 at 4:29:09 am

I don't see anything out of the ordinary with what you describe. Can you give more details on your stills? File format? Color space? (should be an RGB color space) 8/16/32bit images?

Your project could be corrupted. Have you tried starting over in a new project? Also, are running the latest FCPX version? Is your computer up to spec?

Return to posts index

Chevas Rolfe
on May 5, 2013 at 11:37:14 am

Thanks Brent,

File format is jpg. Color space is RGB at 8bit. 3200 pixels X 1800 pixels just thought I would be able to manipulate the transform better at the size. But I have been told through the post that video does not like to calculate such large numbers in rasters. It is more compatible with 720x 1280 0r 1080 x 1920. The images look great on the timeline it was only when I threw in the transitions that it seemed to reject project.

I have taken into consideration that the project is corrupted and will start a new project ... Do you think its a good idea to resize as was suggested to a smaller pixel ratio?

And I am not currently updated that is some thing I will do , I am now on 10.0.6.

What I am trying to do is create a promo art piece of my work with titles ,animation and video (a film short on each of my collections that will have between 20x30 images in each piece, with a running time of 3 to 8 min.. Would like to get the correct formula so that I can use it as a base for my workflow as I document my work and exhibitions.

Chevas

Return to posts index

Chevas Rolfe
on May 6, 2013 at 1:50:10 pm

Thanks Brent,

File format is jpg. Color space is RGB at 8bit. 3200 pixels X 1800 pixels just thought I would be able to manipulate the transform better at the size. But I have been told through the post that video does not like to calculate such large numbers in rasters. It is more compatible with 720x 1280 0r 1080 x 1920. The images look great on the timeline it was only when I threw in the transitions that it seemed to reject project.

I have taken into consideration that the project is corrupted and will start a new project ... Do you think its a good idea to resize as was suggested to a smaller pixel ratio?

And I am not currently updated that is some thing I will do , I am now on 10.0.6.

What I am trying to do is create a promo art piece of my work with titles ,animation and video (a film short on each of my collections that will have between 20x30 images in each piece, with a running time of 3 to 8 min.. Would like to get the correct formula so that I can use it as a base for my workflow as I document my work and exhibitions.

Chevas

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 5, 2013 at 7:23:07 am

[Chevas Rolfe] " so the images are sized at 1800x3200 @ 72res."

Do the math.

You're asking FCP-X to calculate 5,230,000 pixel values (still A) against 5,230,000 pixel values (still B) to generate a new "current mixed frame dissolve state for each frame) over how ever many frames you need to cover the dissolve time you specify.

One thing about FCP-X verses the original is that it's built to accept high rasters and to calculate the same with high PRECISION math. If you ask it to crunch through a huge array of numbers, it will do EXACTLY that.

What's the purpose of using still rasters that large? Are you doing a lot of zoom and re-framing?" If not, you can save yourself and the program a massive amount of calculation that just gets tossed out in the end if you set up your source file resolutions to be something closer to what video actually needs - which is often no more than 1280 X 720 or maybe 1920 x 1080.

Stills with too much fundamental resolution are NOT your friend in a video stream.

FWIW.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Chevas Rolfe
on May 5, 2013 at 11:12:33 am

Thanks Bill,

I understand now will resize the images to be compatible with video . I did want to do some zooming and reframing but I`ll find a work around>

I appreciate the info!

thanks again!

Chevas

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 5, 2013 at 6:50:50 pm

Just know that there's not reason to avoid zooming and re-sizing where and when you need it. Just setup and do your initial work with lower resolution copies of your photos. Yes, if you push in on those to a significant degree, you'll get poor resolution on the zoomed content initially. But that can be solved by simply going back later to replace your "comped" photos with higher resolution versions - and then you'll get the best of both worlds. Fast performance for decision making - AND the ability to zoom and pan where and when it's required with excellent results..

The key is that it's a generally poor early decision to just import huge copies of EVERYTHING because you can as an opening gambit..It just bogs everything down unnecessarily.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on May 5, 2013 at 9:33:28 pm

1800x3200 is not terribly high resolution. That's less than 6 megapixels. In my last project I used 7 or 8 full res 16 megapixel tiffs in a timeline (with 1080p video) with keyframed transforms and dissolves between them with no hiccups whatsoever. I used full res images because I had no reason to believe FCPX couldn't handle it, and it did fine. I'm not convinced that's the root of the problem here.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on May 5, 2013 at 10:32:23 pm

[Brent Cook] "In my last project I used 7 or 8 full res 16 megapixel tiffs in a timeline (with 1080p video) with keyframed transforms and dissolves between them with no hiccups whatsoever."

There's a very good chance it has to do with the RAM on your video card. FCPX leverages the video card in OpenCL to do a lot of manipulations.

If there's not enough RAM there to buffer the video, hold the still in question, etc etc then things slow down by magnitudes.

Video card RAM is an issue in Davinci Resolve where I do a lot of work, and it rears it's head with 4K video and less than 2GB of video RAM. 4K raw is simply not possible with less than a 2GB card.

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Chevas Rolfe
on May 6, 2013 at 12:29:18 am

Thanks Nate,

I have a mid 2012 Imac 27, with 8 gb of memory, and graphics AMD radeon hd 6970m 1024 MB.

I have also found it challenging with davinci resolve as I had it installed and had to uninstall because I could not get it to function. I will reinstall to see if it will be a better install(any advise you might have in running this program would be appreciated, I am new to resolve).

As far as the FCX workflow I just want the cleanest images possible for my stills and I want them to fit in the video format , is a tiff better in your opinion than a jpeg...? it obviously has less compression.

Should I upgrade my memory to 32GB, would that help? I got the machine to creating as much power as possible when I purchased to support my editing and workflow... but Im relatively new to this and do have issue sometime when performing multiple task... coral painter can give me issues as well as resolve as I stated before.

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a painter working on my first short film which will have animation and an art feel to it.

thanks again!

Chevas

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on May 8, 2013 at 2:01:10 am

[Chevas Rolfe] "I have a mid 2012 Imac 27, with 8 gb of memory, and graphics AMD radeon hd 6970m 1024 MB."

The 1GB of memory on the Radeon video card is what I was talking about. 2GB would help, but there's nothing you can do to upgrade that on an iMac. It's what it is.

[Chevas Rolfe] "Should I upgrade my memory to 32GB"

More system RAM is always better. If it doesn't help your specific problem, it help other things along quite a bit. It's a good $200 spent.

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]