FORUMS: list search recent posts

Odd Audio Behavior

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael W. Towe
Odd Audio Behavior
on May 2, 2013 at 7:22:44 pm

So I have an interviews that I am cutting and I am going it in a compound clip because it will get placed in multiple timelines. The audio is 4 channels of Mono, which I am killing 3 of, and just using the best channel. I drop an EQ and compressor on it and set the level to average at -20db all is good. Now when I drop that compound clip into a project I find that the audio now has to be boosted by 5db to get back to the average -20db that I had in the compound clip. Any ideas why levels in a project would be different from the compound clip?

And for extra credit... My broadcast specs call for a peak audio level of -12db. No problem right? Just drop a limiter and set it to -12db. But hold on, the limiter in X only lets you limit down to -10db. Any one know how to get the limiter down to -12db?

Michael W. Towe
President M2 Digital Post
http://www.m2digitalpost.com

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: Odd Audio Behavior
on May 2, 2013 at 10:37:46 pm

I can't replicate your compound clip problem. If I set levels, compound and then copy the compound into another project the levels are consistent.

I would edit the interview in a project and then compound the completed edit and copy/paste into the other projects.

As far as your limiter question, you should be adjusting "gain" which goes down to -20. Where you set that depends on what the level of the audio is in the first place. There can be interaction between the different settings.

anickt

Return to posts index

Michael W. Towe
Re: Odd Audio Behavior
on May 3, 2013 at 12:49:12 am

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the response. Just a follow up from my end...

So at first I thought it might be a workflow issue as I was creating an empty compound clip and then editing the footage into it. Then I was applying the compressor and adjusting it, then dropping the compound clip into a project. As explained I we having to bump the audio by +5db to get the levels to match.

You were suggesting create a project, then edit the footage in, add and adjust the compressor and then compound clip it. If I do this the exact opposite happens. Now I have to drop the audio in the compound clip to get it to match. But wait it gets better... If I don't drop the level of the compound clip, but drop it back into a project the levels are now back to where I set them, even though the compound clip is +5db hotter. Confused yet?

In short, I have a consistent 5db mismatch from compound clip to project. Which way that miss match is depends on when I created it. If created in a compound clip and dropped into a project, the project is -5db. If created in a project and compounded, the compound clip is +5db

I have tried this on 2 system here at my shop and it behaves the same way on both. I would love another data point on this if someone else wants to give it a shot.

Michael W. Towe
President M2 Digital Post
http://www.m2digitalpost.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]