FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tips for large events on slow machine ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Jacana
Tips for large events on slow machine ?
on May 2, 2013 at 4:09:55 pm

Due the overwhelming response from my previous post " Poor little Mac Mini - crashes on 300 clips!" I've decided post again! Come on, are all of you using 12 core MacPros with 128GB of ram, FCPx is made for the people right - including us poor bastards using 2012 Mac Minis ?!

Looking for ways to edit on my Mac mini with a large number of clips in the event library. With 385 clips it seems a little slow when redrawing the thumbnails. I am running everything with proxy, using original media bogs the machine down even more.

(Mac Mini i7 dual core with AMD 6330 (256MB ram) card, 16gigs ram and internal SSD and TB hard drive - about 130Mbps according to Black magic speed test)

So best practices? Break up event? Don't use thumbnail view? Quad core? Raid?

Return to posts index

Adam Markon
Re: Tips for large events on slow machine ?
on May 2, 2013 at 4:35:47 pm

1. Quit all open applications
2. Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal and enter the command "purge"
3. Once "purge" finishes, shut down your computer. Start the machine while holding Command+Option+P+R and wait for the machine to restart 3 times.

This should free up any unused RAM, and allow you to maximize memory usage. Avoid having multiple applications open while using FCP because this volume of clips will use quite a bit of memory.

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
on May 2, 2013 at 11:03:47 pm

I have event manager X. All events are on on TB drive and most are hidden. Have just this one event open and a few others did not really make a difference. I'm sure if I had all 20 or so open it would be a lot worse.

As far as memory goes I have 16gig and am only using 5gb I believe, looking at activity monitor.

Yes the Graphics card is a wimp, I can see how effects it may be slow but just general thumbnail loading? Guess it is graphic intensive.

It seems to be working ok and probably the best I can expect for a Mac Mini. Breaking up the large event into smaller events may help perhaps?

Return to posts index

Michael W. Towe
on May 2, 2013 at 7:49:47 pm

Is this event the only one that FCPX is loading? Or are there other event's on other drives that are getting loaded? If the answer is the later of the 2 take a look at Event Manager X in the App Store. This little app is a life saver. It will allow you to hide all the other events, and projects as well, from X so that it's only loading the one event you are working on.

Michael W. Towe
President M2 Digital Post
http://www.m2digitalpost.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 2, 2013 at 9:08:51 pm

[Richard Jacana] "AMD 6330 (256MB ram) card"

I think that there is your problem...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on May 3, 2013 at 4:46:33 pm

this may or may not fit with your workflow, but one option is to do a really rough edit into your timeline. basically just pick your clips.

then duplicate the project onto a new drive (or sparse bundle) and select the option that only copies referenced clips.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 3, 2013 at 8:49:00 pm

Apple recommends 512 MB VRam.

I would also turn off Thumbnails in the Timeline, and set the Event to List View, scrubbing through Thumbnails is really efficient but it can get clunky on slow machines or older harddrives.

TheTB drive is 7.200 rpm, right. 5.400 rpm will slow you down

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]