FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backup/collaboration procedures/processes-save most recent event, media, projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam chesbrough
Backup/collaboration procedures/processes-save most recent event, media, projects
on May 2, 2013 at 12:01:07 am

I have my main working drives and a drobo 5D for backups.

I want to run a chronosync backup at the end of everyday that basically mirrors the drives. If the right drive has the most recent event then that is what is used and if the left has the most recent then that is what is used. The goal is to be able to use either drive and be able to startup where the other left off.

FCPX seems to make this impossible since it opens all Final Cut Events and Final Cut Projects folders that are in the root

For example: If harddrive A clicks on project A (even though they are working on project B) the date of the fcpevent will be updated and therefore override project A on harddrive B (since the newest version will be kept.

Can people share their workflow. I am worried that running any sort of auto sync program is going to delete the project that I need.

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Backup/collaboration procedures/processes-save most recent event, media, projects
on May 2, 2013 at 12:53:46 am

Event Manager X-http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/EventManagerX/

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Backup/collaboration procedures/processes-save most recent event, media, projects
on May 2, 2013 at 2:34:22 am

Event Manager X is wonderful and I highly recommend it.

But mounting and un-mounting Events alone, while important, convenient and extremely useful is just one part of the puzzle.

For example, I don't evan THINK about doing backups the same way I used to. For two reasons. In X, incremental work is ALL expressed in metadata. That's means its simple text at it's core. This is why X "crashes" so elegantly. It hardly EVER loses any keystrokes or mouse movements since those instructions are all just constantly updated metadata text files.

It also means that if I've built a solid system of asset linking and using modern asset buckets like Disk Images - then my exposure to loss becomes RADICALLY smaller. I can think in terms of simple XML dumps that will do virtually ALL the safety backup I need via microscopic size text files.

I don't believe there's the same level of "lost effort" risk working in X that I used to have to guard against working in Legacy.

So I don't sweat it nearly as much.

YMMV.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
Re: Backup/collaboration procedures/processes-
on May 7, 2013 at 5:16:34 pm

What do you mean by "using modern asset buckets like Disk Images"?. I use Event Manager X but in order to save time (and not duplicate) using backup software I need to "mount" all events and projects at the end of each day to sync with my drobo. An annoying step but obviously not terrible.

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]