FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K green screen edit in FCPX workflow question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tracy Evans
4K green screen edit in FCPX workflow question
on May 1, 2013 at 10:29:21 pm

I am planning a green screen shoot with a Red Scarlet. It is a lock down, head-to-toe shot of a narrator that will be keyed into a background in post. I am shooting vertically to get max resolution for reframing. FInal output is 720p, so I should be able to get everything from full body shot to ECU with this one shot.

I've never worked with RED footage and am looking for advice, tutorials and such.

In addition, do you think my MacBook Air can handle this edit (2 GHz i7, 8GB, Thunderbolt)? I have no trouble editing 1080p off of a USB3 drive on it.

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
Re: 4K green screen edit in FCPX workflow question
on May 2, 2013 at 1:54:44 pm

Yikes. That's going to be a huge challenge for a Macbook Air. You'd have to make proxies for sure. The bigger question: Why jump through all the hoops/storage/performance issues you'll encounter to shoot in 4K when you are delivering sub-HD? I'd say shoot 1080 4:4:2 and you'll have no problem getting a great key on something as simple as a narrator walking and talking (provided it's lit properly). Really, 4K seems like overkill—and your edit machine is not really going to be up to it re: ram, processors, graphic card, etc. My two cents.

Return to posts index

Tracy Evans
Re: 4K green screen edit in FCPX workflow question
on May 2, 2013 at 2:02:26 pm

Thanks for the advice on the hardware. The reason to shoot 4K is to be able to reframe the head-to-to shot in post as needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]