FORUMS: list search recent posts

Poor little Mac Mini - crashes on 300 clips!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Jacana
Poor little Mac Mini - crashes on 300 clips!
on May 1, 2013 at 3:31:48 pm

So some smart arses on this forum :) are always bragging about their 10000+ clip event libraries so I thought I 'd attempting to ingest a large number of clips, 1000 or so with my little Mac Mini (yes I'm a cheap ass and don't have a 12 core Mac Pro!)

My 2012 i7 dual core mini with the optional AMD Graphics card, SSD and 16Gb of Ram, editing off a TB hard drive but it crashes and I was only importing 300 or so - it looks like it's not up the the task of doing the thumbnailing of all the clips - that's what the crash log suggests.

I'm using the orignal media and not transcoding so and I have some pretty high rate encoded AVCHD clips from a GH2 (100Mbps), some iPhone footage, and some 1080p60 footage (yikes!) so I'm sure this has something to do with it. Will now try to do proxy and see if we can actaully edit all of these 1000 clips I will hope to add - BTW, this is only a family home movie project!

All clips are in one event and the proxy appears to of worked when I did the transcode overnight of 300 clips, I really never expected the mini to handle the original footage like Premier Pro's Mercury Engine would (yeah right!) I've turned off show waveforms.

Your Suggestions lads?

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
Re: Poor little Mac Mini - crashes on 300 clips!
on May 2, 2013 at 4:14:55 pm

I realized that some of the footage was corrupt - (GH2 hacks can mess up footage but who can resist 150Mbps vs AVCHDs measly 24Mbps) - and FCPx just hung during the transcode of the corrupt clips. I've now removed corrupted clips and switched over to proxy and all seems well but still thumbnailing is slow. See my new post.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Poor little Mac Mini - crashes on 300 clips!
on May 3, 2013 at 5:55:42 pm

What type of hard drive are you using? Using FW800 and older drives could cause this.

I recommend using the timeline setting without the thumbnails. Personally I never use them, even in legacy.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]