FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X and 7 on same partition.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk Pitts
Final Cut Pro X and 7 on same partition.
on May 1, 2013 at 10:54:40 am

I've just purchased FCP X and wanted to see if anyone has personal experience running both 7 and X on the same partition/account.
Searching the forums seems to show over time that installing both together does function but I thought I would ask to be sure.

I've had Motion 5 for nearly a year and followed Apple's instructions to install both versions on the same partition (opening motion 4 first etc.) and I've had no real problems with Motion 4 or 5 so far.

Has anyone tried the same partition method and had problems or does the Apple method work effectively.

This will be done to a 2012 i7 Mac mini running OS X 10.8.3.

I also use the Boris plugins if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Kirk

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Final Cut Pro X and 7 on same partition.
on May 1, 2013 at 11:26:40 am

Hi Kirk

I have both running happily on both a MacPro and a MacBookPro. The installation of FCPX creates a folder called final cut studio in which the FCP Legacy apps are automatically placed. You will have to amend any shortcuts but all should be fine.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on May 1, 2013 at 12:04:49 pm

Thanks, what I did when I installed motion was create a folder called Final Cut X and move motion there, then move FCP7 back to the applications folder.
Motion didn't seem to care where it was stored but since I didn't have FCP X I don't know if the connection between Motion 5 and X would be affected.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 1, 2013 at 1:17:01 pm

Follow these steps and you should be OK.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4722

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on May 1, 2013 at 2:49:04 pm

Thanks, That's what I did for motion. Just wanted to follow up now that some people have used X and 7 together for while.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 1, 2013 at 4:34:43 pm

It does work, yes.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 5, 2013 at 6:06:50 pm

I too followed this thread since I need both X and 7. Early on, I went the partition route and have stayed there even though this has been revised. One advantage remains: if a system gets corrupted, you can start from scratch on one partition without having to go through the dance with all. Plus you can do things like run disk warrior from one partition to trouble shoot another.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on May 5, 2013 at 11:31:23 pm

[Craig Alan] "Plus you can do things like run disk warrior from one partition to trouble shoot another."

I do the exactly the same thing. I have 10.6.8 on the main partition and 10.8.3 on a smaller 70GB one. I'll leave 10.6.8 when I feel necessary, but so far it works great for what I do.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]